What's new
What's new

Adding RAM and SSD

Nickvivona

Plastic
Hello guys thanks for helping me choose a laptop for auto cad/mastercam , I'm looking for deals in dell precision or hp zbook , so if you see something let me know please! I'm buying something used , so heres my question.How hard and expensive is it to add more ram and a ssd to an used/older laptop? 12g ram is enough? and ssd? 128/256?
thank you again for taking your time

I swapped out the 128 SSD OS hardrive with a 500 SSD Samsung in my MSI laptop. I used Samsung's software and everything went smoothly. At the same time I added 16 G of ram for a total of 32 G. It was a matter of plugging in 2 sticks. I don't know what you are running but if it isn't ancient you shouldn't have much trouble.

You can pick up Zbook 17's on ebay for under a grand these days with Core I7, 24gb+ ram, 250gb SSD, 500gb+ storage, Nvidia K4100M, Win7 or 10... Currently have 3 or 4 at the shop and they run great. I'm on my 2nd unit so far and it runs Solidworks w/ integrated CAM with no issues. Max ram is 32gb I believe. For the price it's a great machine. Runs better than the Dell Precision's I've owned, and has lasted quite a bit longer as well.

First decide if you REALLY need it to be a laptop. You will get tremendously more bang for the buck from a desktop workstation, and at the high end much more performance.

Back