What's new
What's new

AlphaCAM version 2000...will it work on Windows XP ?

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
It was released in the middle of 2000, so was designed for Windows 95 or NT. I uploaded the CD to a Windows XP computer and it seemed to upload just fine but when I go to actually open a module it can't find the dongle. To be more precise, the error that pops up is-

"Dynamic link library DK2WIN32.DLL could not be found. Please ensure the DESkey drivers are installed"

I have no clue how to ensure the DESKey drivers are installed.

So, just wondering if this is a basic incompability with Windows 95 vs XP, or a problem with this particular computer ? (wifes computer, and it does have some basic software problems. Would use my XP desktop except mine doesn't have a parallel port for the dongle !:wall: )

it should work on xp since it's NT compatible, but without the parell port your hosed!
have you tried it on your wifes? you may have to turn the port on on her PC.

You can add an i/o card to your desktop to get a parallel port but you will still need to install the drivers for the dongle.

Are you sure there's not a folder on the installation media (CD?) for installing the dongle drivers?

Is there anything on the dongle to indicate its manufacture or model? The drivers may be availalble for download.

Joe

Today I tried it on an IBM Thinkpad with Windows 98 and it worked fine. I found an old email where previous owner said it worked on his Windows XP machine...so the problem was the wife's computer apparently.

you might try a web search for a usb adapter ,i think they make one for just about everything nowadays but it would pay to research them first as i think there are different levels of compatability.Trained on Alphacam years ago,good stuff.

I have some old files that are saved in alphacams native system.

I know this is a long shot, but op, have you stopped using your old version?

Would you part with it and your old parellel deskey?

Alphacam wants something like $7k aud for a hobby version. Its a bit rich just to open a few old files.
It would also be nice to use an old version that I am (or was) familiar with).

i still have all of my older verions of alpha with the parallel port ,,,,which version are you looking for

Back