What's new
What's new

Alternatives to DraftSight ( or any DWG viewer with editing function )

SeymourDumore

Diamond
Guys, I have a problem.

I use Inventor and ACAD for all my CAD work. Modeling is done in IV, then immediately a true AutoCAD DWG is created from everything.
They are not dimensioned, toleranced or otherwise annotated, but the DWG with all possible views is made no matter what.

From here on, for standard production parts I create a fully marked up and detailed drawing(s), whatever is needed for opsheets or shop drawings as a SOP.
All done in AutoCAD

For one-offs, tooling, fixturing or other "oddball" drawings however, I try to do as little as I can and leave the DWG as-is.
If I work on them, I use the main computer with all the bells and whistles to get whatever I need.
For all other stuff though, those DWG files go into a "sandbox" for the guys to open in Draftsight on a laptop "machineside", so they can pull off dimensions for manual work,
let it be lathe, mill, grind, saw or whatever else, OR, even just for a setup of the next op, in case something is missing.
They don't have to bother me for stupid little this-or-that, they can find it out on their own, everyone is happy.
Their work is virtually never saved back from the "sandbox", when they are done with the part, they are done with the file.

Anyhow, with Draftsight going subscription-only as-of 01/01/2020, and eliminating the "free" version, I would like to find an alternative for it.
Yes, I can afford the $99/year subscription for the most basic version, but really? 2-3 copies of it? Just for marking up shit here or there?
If DS wants a $300-400 payment for a permanent, site-wide license for say 5 PC-s, I'll say OK! Guys are used to it, can find their way around, we're all happy.
$99 x 3(or4) annually however ... It ain't gonna happen!

I DO NOT want something that can just open and "measure" a DWG, rather it needs to create a real dimension annotation that stays on the screen.
I DO NOT want anything that is cloud based, it must not "phone-home" whenever opened or used, and it must be a "perpetual" solution.

Honestly, I am OK with a DEMO version of whatever is capable and comprehensive, as I do not need it to save at all!

Thank You

Anyhow, with Draftsight going subscription-only as-of 01/01/2020, and eliminating the "free" version, I would like to find an alternative for it.
The free version is not going to quit working, right ? And if you keep your acad to the current level that works, you won't need to "upgrade" draftsight, either.

If you are happy with what you've got, just keep it ?

The free version is not going to quit working, right ? And if you keep your acad to the current level that works, you won't need to "upgrade" draftsight, either.

We'll find out on Jan 2 if the "free" version still works.
Based on the pop-up, it won't.

My ACAD maintenance is with ADSK, it is up to date, but it has nothing to do with draftsight.

I am happy with what I've got, but I ( apparently ) can't keep it...

What are the guys in the shop machining on? Manual, CNC, woodworking..... Any CAM?

why not Fusion? Have them get their own free seat. ????

What are the guys in the shop machining on? Manual, CNC, woodworking..... Any CAM?

why not Fusion? Have them get their own free seat. ????

Len

First off: No E.T. Phone Home! The PC they use has access to the network, but not to the web.
Second, it's my shop and they're my responsibility.
I'll provide the tools necessary, let it be drills, endmills, machines, computers or software ( they can bring their own food tho, no matter what it may be )

And yes, the drawing access is exclusively for manual work for the this-and-that, or when setting up a job on the CNC and have a missing dimension.
I just rather not be bugged for simple shit when they have a way to find out ( and for the record, they'd rather find out on their own vs bugging me and be given the look )

Nothing to do with CAM

I work for a large OEM automotive parts supplier and we used to use a version of Acad light before draftsight came out. IT always bitched about the "seat cost" of light (for us factory types of course, the real enginerds have Acad inventor)and dumped it for draftsight when it came out. IT is going to be in a jam now trying to figure out the next cheap fix. I still use acad 2002 in my shop but it only runs on an old computer with windows 7. It crashes on anything newer.

We'll find out on Jan 2 if the "free" version still works.
Based on the pop-up, it won't.
You can test by setting the date forward on a computer that is running it (dont forget to reboot)

That will at least tell you what to expect.

I am happy with what I've got, but I ( apparently ) can't keep it...
Sounds like a simple hack. If it's just checking for a date that is less than such-and-so, you can use a hex editor on the executable to hardwire in the answer it wants.

Good project for a local computer science class :)

Solid Edge is pretty nice. I could have sworn I've seen other cad programs that can read dwg tho. Pro/E can for sure. That runs about a buck fifty :D

Len

And yes, the drawing access is exclusively for manual work for the this-and-that, or when setting up a job on the CNC and have a missing dimension.
I just rather not be bugged for simple shit when they have a way to find out ( and for the record, they'd rather find out on their own vs bugging me and be given the look )

Nothing to do with CAM

Reason I asked about CAM is if you have they can use that to open the DWG\DXF and dimension it there.

It should be them giving you the look cause you haven't given them complete drawing ...... you know how you AutoCAD guys are .... A SolidWorks guy would have had a completely dimensioned one.
you know I'm just kidding, we haven't had this type of banter in a long long time :D :stirthepot: :cheers:

LibreCAD - Free Open Source 2D CAD haven't used just found

QCAD - 2D CAD

According to what I read on their website all previous versions will stop working at the end of December.

DraftSight is what I've been using at home so I also need a substitute. I assume the Solid Edge 2D Drafting download is only for companies (per the information asked for) so I wonder if LibreCAD or QCAD will be a suitable substitute for DraftSight. Whatever I use has to have command line functionality as AutoCAD and DraftSight do.

I used to pay for Autocad until Autodesk went to the cloud. Fuck that. If I want or need an upgrade I will pay for it but subscriptions and forced compliance is not an acceptable standard. Get a VPN and download a hacked older version of Autocad. 2012 works great for exactly what you need. The only caveat may be that when you save from a newer program you will have to set your default save file type to an older version for the guys in the shop to work with.

... I wonder if LibreCAD or QCAD will be a suitable substitute for DraftSight.
Qcad is close to worthless. I tried Librecad a while back, it was better than qcad but I'd go for the solid design way before either of those.

According to what I read on their website all previous versions will stop working at the end of December.
Easy to verify, just set the date forward and see what happens.

You can even get the whole 3D version for personal use too!

Hobbyists and Makers | CAD Software | Solid Edge

Unfortunately it requires Windows 10 Professional and for various reasons I have no intention of "upgrading". That leaves me with the choice of either one of the open source packages or paying for DraftSight. If it was a one time fee of $99 I would go for it but they want $99 a year and and I don't use it enough to justify that.

The older versions definitely will stop working, according to Dassault Systemes.

"All free versions of DraftSight (2018 or earlier) will cease to run after 12/31/2019."

2D 3D CAD Software Download | DRAFTSIGHT™ - Dassault Systemes(R)

Back