What's new
What's new

Any advantage in replacing a Fanuc OMD mill with Fanuc 11M

imported_brian_m

Cast Iron
Hi Guys,

I have been prototyping using a Kent bed mill with a Fanuc OMD control then sending the parts out to a production shop. My mill does a surprisingly good job but, despite following the usual recommendations, the 3D operations are extremely slow and it does not have a tool-changer.

Because our parts are becoming more diverse I will need to do more short production runs in house.

There is a Shizouka BV5 with 11M control for sale locally and I am wondering just how much of an improvement this would be over my present setup.

Since I have no tool changer the Shizouka would be a big step forward in this area but I gather the Shizouka tool changer could be a little unreliable. Regardless of this does the 11M have improvements over the OMD such as a bigger look-ahead buffer.

Any experience or opinions?

Thanks, Brian

Hi Guys,

I have been prototyping using a Kent bed mill with a Fanuc OMD control then sending the parts out to a production shop. My mill does a surprisingly good job but, despite following the usual recommendations, the 3D operations are extremely slow and it does not have a tool-changer.

Because our parts are becoming more diverse I will need to do more short production runs in house.

There is a Shizouka BV5 with 11M control for sale locally and I am wondering just how much of an improvement this would be over my present setup.

Since I have no tool changer the Shizouka would be a big step forward in this area but I gather the Shizouka tool changer could be a little unreliable. Regardless of this does the 11M have improvements over the OMD such as a bigger look-ahead buffer.

Any experience or opinions?

Thanks, Brian

I can't recall exactly but I think some of the data bottle necks are a little faster on the 0 vs. an 11 but honestly neither of them are fast at 3D work. A long time ago we had a 6M, some 11M's and a 0M. The 0 is a little more modern than an 11 but Fanuc considered it a simplified control. As such much of the interfaced behaved more like a 6 than an 11. I liked the 0 control.

If the other machine is reliable and you can keep the toolchanger working properly, the increase in unattended machining could be a huge benefit if you need the changer.

With either control I would try to concentrate on programming 2.5 axis paths (Z-level) as much as possible and also try to output as many arcs as reasonably possible in your cam program. Would help a bit to cut arcs in XZ and YZ planes too.

Back