What's new
What's new

Any suggestions for a membrane design software package.

Trboatworks

Diamond
All- I am looking for a design programs to work with tensioned membranes for building applications- awnings and fabric structures.

Any ideals for a entry level package- I don’t mind paying something but do not currently need the 4K level pro software.

Thanks

I didn't even know this was a thing, so I did a quick search but just came up with what I'd consider "Pro" packages.

For your needs, perhaps working in miniature with something like Tinker Toys or K'nex sets and cuts of fabric?

Thanks- I have two needs:

The first is just to work up proof of concept and design iterations.
A dodge is actually casting soap bubbles on frames while another is to use fine elastic mesh such as ‘nylons’.
My second need is to develope patterns and possibly have them sent out to have panels cut which makes for more demands on design output.

The structure is approximately 16’x 25’ with 12 nodes so pattern making is not happening at full scale (I think...).

I guess I will build up a 1”:1’ model but would really like to play around with a cad model before I even do that.

Brainstorming here....
I could pattern at full size using marine ‘shrink wrap’ film which I would then cut to pieces for patterns.

Implications of warp and weft of bias fabrics for canopy is starting to make my head hurt...

I have a good text on the subject (thanks Stephen) I am reading up...

Yeah, this sounds like an arena for math geeks, those that wander topological gardens and all that...

If you have universities nearby with good math departments, you might find an starving grad student to put together a Matlab module that could (might?) do what you need. But you'd have to define the task really well, so that what you get is what you wanted.

Yeah.
Maybe in another life I will be able to use math to optimize such things.
In this one I hack it- experience helps but engineering has gone way past ‘gut’..

Yes, Rhino 6 has a plug-in called Grasshopper included at no extra charge. People use it for this kind of work all the time.

I believe the retail price of Rhino 6 is still under $1000.

Back