What's new
What's new

Anyone Else Having Trouble With HSMWorks FEED OPTIMIZATION

gmoushon

Cast Iron
I've been trying to get feed optimization to work with HSM for quite some time now. I even had tech support on the line and demonstrated that it doesn't work. He admitted the problem and said he pushed it up to development to be fixed. That was almost a year ago. Still can't get it to work.

Anyone else having this issue?

gm

I've not taken the deep dive into seeing why it won't work, but I've tried to post out feed optimazion in fusion (same hsm works AFAIK) and could never get it to post properly. I assumed it was a post setting/issue, but never dove into it as I'm primarily machining aluminum and it's rarely an issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've not taken the deep dive into seeing why it won't work, but I've tried to post out feed optimazion in fusion (same hsm works AFAIK) and could never get it to post properly. I assumed it was a post setting/issue, but never dove into it as I'm primarily machining aluminum and it's rarely an issue.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Well, if you're noticing the issue also then they STILL haven't fixed it!

I actually had a tech rep dial into my computer and try to run it himself on my machine. He did a simple model in Fusion because he said it was the same engine. He modeled and programmed the toolpath and then looked at the output g-code and the feed never slowed down. Yet another bug.

I just was wondering if maybe I was screwing up but apparently its still not fixed. It actually is an issue for me because I am doing a lot of cavities in aluminum with 1/8 or smaller endmills which like to snap if you look at them wrong!

Maybe they'll fix it someday...
gm

Well, if you're noticing the issue also then they STILL haven't fixed it!

I actually had a tech rep dial into my computer and try to run it himself on my machine. He did a simple model in Fusion because he said it was the same engine. He modeled and programmed the toolpath and then looked at the output g-code and the feed never slowed down. Yet another bug.

I just was wondering if maybe I was screwing up but apparently its still not fixed. It actually is an issue for me because I am doing a lot of cavities in aluminum with 1/8 or smaller endmills which like to snap if you look at them wrong!

Maybe they'll fix it someday...
gm

Are you using Adaptive Clearing? either 2D or 3D......

I use this all the time with 1\8 or smaller.

I use HSMWorks

Are you using Adaptive Clearing? either 2D or 3D......

I use this all the time with 1\8 or smaller.

I use HSMWorks

The specific problem I'm having is with 2D Contour of a pocket. In fact, before posting, I did a simple model of a square cavity in a block and programmed a 2D Contour of the inside of the cavity...checked the output code and there's no feed change.

gm.

I use it in F360 all the time and don't have any issues. Primarily for chamfering toolpaths to make sure I don't blow past corners on my older machine when I'm running higher feedrates. I've used it in other toolpath types also and no problem. Maybe the post processor? In the simulation the toolpaths should turn yellow in the corners where it is applying the reduced feed. I'm using the milltronics pp just for reference.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I just did a quick test in a 2D contour path and a reduced feedrate showed as cb750chris mentioned, as a different color. It also posted the reduced feed rate. To test this, in cam, choose a very large radius, like 1-2" and look to see if it slows down any arc moves.

if your tool path is represented as a bunch of linear moves, you will need to look at the 'maximum directional change' in the feed optimization field. try setting it to 1 degree and see if any of the linear moves in your path slow down.

I'm using the fanuc robodrill postprocessor which is likely well sorted out.

I did find that with 3d adaptive clearing, if you choose 'both ways', it disables feed optimization (you can't check the box to enable feed optimization) so you need to be careful there.

Mike

Just tried it again and here's a pic of the simple model. The radius is 0.10". and the cavity is 1.95" square. Tool is 1/8 endmill.

Making a large radius doesn't accurately simulate the problem I'm having, but I tried a 1" just for kicks and still no go.

I suppose the post processor could cause the issue but I'm not sure how. It's an older Kitamura MyCenter-0 and I have no issues what-so-ever with posting. IteEven rigid taps without an issue.

Here's the relevant code that it generates:

G01 Z0.08 F40.
Z-0.2375
G18 G02 X0.8625 Z-0.25 I0.0125
G01 X0.875
G17 G03 X0.8875 Y-0.025 J0.0125
G01 Y0.85
G03 X0.85 Y0.8875 I-0.0375
G01 X-0.9
G03 X-0.9375 Y0.85 J-0.0375
G01 Y-0.9
G03 X-0.9 Y-0.9375 I0.0375
G01 X0.85
G03 X0.8875 Y-0.9 J0.0375
G01 Y-0.025
G03 X0.875 Y-0.0125 I-0.0125
G01 X0.8625
G18 G03 X0.85 Z-0.2375 K0.0125
G00 Z0.6
G17

Any angular change beyond 25deg should reduce feed to 10ipm at a distance of 0.100 before the radius.
Cutting feed of 40 never changes.

Attachments

• OPTIMIZATION TEST.jpg
    OPTIMIZATION TEST.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 27

Back