What's new
What's new

Anyone have a YASNAC MX3 post processor for Solidworks CAM?

gmoushon

Cast Iron
I'm trying to get Solidworks CAM to talk to my Kitamura with a YASNAC MX3 control and am having no luck. I thought I had found a good post processor, (YASMX3.ctl), but unfortunately its not working.

Causes a G0 error on the third line:

O0001
G17 G20 G40 G49 G80
G0 G91 G28 Z0

Then, for a tapping routine it commands an "M42", which is not a valid miscellaneous code for my control that I'm aware of:

(M4.0 X 0.7 TAP)
M6
G0 G90 G54 X.4 Y-1.4 S350 M3
M42 S350
G43 H07 Z1. M8
G84 G98 X.4 Y-1.4 R.1 Z-.3 F9.6457
G80 Z1. M9
G91 G28 Z0
M1
G30 X0 Y0
M99

Was hoping someone out there would have a processor for Solidcam or Solidworks CAM that would work.

Thanks,
gm

After scouring the net and coming up empty, I checked with Hawk Ridge for a price....$750 for a custom post processor which seems crazy to me when Fusion 360 if free works fine. Is that typical? Seem's high to me.

gm.

I guess $750 buys a day (ish) of programmer time including support to make sure it works properly and does all that you need. Not too shabby for a one off job. How does that compare to what your accountant or lawyer charges per diem?

Bit different if its simple looking down the list and saying "OK, that will be number 32. Send him a download.". Which doesn't seem to be the case. Even then there is the usual issue of fair payment for having it it stock and the expertise to know that number 32 is the one that works whilst number 42 which looks almost the same won't. Shades of the $201 bill for hitting with a hammer. Broken down into $1 for hitting, $200 for knowing how hard to hit, where to hit and call out fee for bringing the right size hammer.

Even if it is a days worth of machine hours the job is done, dusted and you are making chips. If, as you should, you charge out fugiting around at shop rates plus working time lost whilst you are fugiting around it doesn't take much to cost more.

Clive

$750 is not bad at all for a custom post processor. Not sure why you would think it should be a lot less.
Would you sell a day of work for lets say $200?

Modifying a post processor is a pretty simple task. Most are written in some form of C type code and can be edited directly inside the same editor used for the G code.

That said, I don't know why that G0 would give an alarm. Maybe it's mad about the lack of a trailing zero on the Z0.

I sure would not pay $750. That might be reasonable for a post written for some whacky multi-axis machine with an obscure control. This is a standard 3 axis mill. The changes you want can be made in a few minutes.

That might be reasonable for a post written for some whacky multi-axis machine with an obscure control. This is a standard 3 axis mill. The changes you want can be made in a few minutes.

My thoughts exactly. I didn't think a Kitamura Mycenter-0 was an exceedingly rare machine. That's why I thought someone might already have gone through this.

I'm working on tweaking the code now...it just takes me a while.

Modifying a post processor is a pretty simple task. Most are written in some form of C type code and can be edited directly inside the same editor used for the G code.

That said, I don't know why that G0 would give an alarm. Maybe it's mad about the lack of a trailing zero on the Z0.

I sure would not pay $750. That might be reasonable for a post written for some whacky multi-axis machine with an obscure control. This is a standard 3 axis mill. The changes you want can be made in a few minutes.

I've done some minor post editing, and it can be tricky, I would not dismiss it as "just get into it and do it". Sometimes a change might affect something you don't realize until some time later when you are using a specific cycle that you hadn't used with your new post and all of a sudden BOOM.

I don't have it at home, but at work I have a pdf saved with some good information on some general symbols and what they do. If I remember I will email it to myself and post it here on PM.

That would be helpful Mike. Thank you.

What I'm finding out is that Camworks does not seem as user friendly as other post processors that I've successfully edited. I've burnt up most of today fighting with their UPG and EC-Edit programs. I don't know what I'm missing but its driving me to drink!

Thanks again.
gm

That would be helpful Mike. Thank you.

What I'm finding out is that Camworks does not seem as user friendly as other post processors that I've successfully edited. I've burnt up most of today fighting with their UPG and EC-Edit programs. I don't know what I'm missing but its driving me to drink!

Thanks again.
gm

$750 is a pretty good price to pay vs spending countless hours trying to figure out the UPG. Eventually it will cost you more money dinking around with the code or post processor before you get the results you need on a regular basis.

Back