What's new
What's new

Anyone use a 3D mouse?

Rewt

Hot Rolled
I've been wanting to try one and I can see how it would be useful. I've looked on 3Dconnexxion's site and theirs are compatible with SolidWorks.

Those of you who've tried one, what are/were your thoughts on it?

I've had a SpaceNavigator SE from 3Dconnexxion for 6 years now. Haven't had one problem with it. Its ran in Solidworks great and I love it. Biggest advantage I've used it for was assemblies, much easier to manipulate the model to select surfaces for mates with it than a normal mouse. I've thought it was well worth the money and I'd buy one again in an instant.

I have the "SpaceNavigator 3D Mouse" and was using it with Solidworks. It takes getting used to and it works well, but somehow I've returned to regular mouse in the last couple of years.

I have had a Space Navigator for around 2 years. It is about as useful as my other mouse. If I was shopping for a new cad program and it didn't support a 3D mouse it would be a deal killer no matter how good the program was. I only use Fusion 360.

I forgot to add they are a Logitech company so the wireless ones may work with your Logitech receiver. If I had known I may have gone wireless when I got mine.

Ditto to rbent's remarks.

Have used Spacepilot and Spacepilot Pro with Solidworks for as long as they have been available. Useful when doing parts, but extremely useful when putting together assemblies. However, I'm too old now to remember what all the buttons do, so now use wireless SpaceMouse with onscreen menus when working with ADSK Inventor (PC) and Fusion 360 (on Mac); worked fine with Solidworks until we switched a few years ago.

All the units I've used have been solidly built with no failures. IMHO, definitely an item that is worth what one pays for it.

Fred

Very good with Solidworks, not as useful with Catia. The drivers can be a bit wonky with a laptop on a docking station, where it gets plugged/unplugged a lot.

One of the guys here has the 'puck' by itself and uses it in NX mainly for view navigation. I've always wanted to try it out but wouldn't want to pay for it myself. And I don't even submit a purchase-req for it to the boss because I really don't want to hear a question about "why can't you just use that Dell mouse?".

I use buttons for most of my NX work and would love to be able to program some of the basics to the left-hand Spacepilot for all the modeling and assembly work. If you get one - let us know how it works out...

I played with the coworkers 'puck' and really liked the navigation. It was smooth and easy in NX and took very little time to get used to.

don't bother with the wireless models.
more trouble than they're worth.

mine worked OK for a year....

I've used a 6DOF controller (SpaceOrb/SpaceBall/SpaceNavigator) off and on for almost 20 years. Personally, I find it useful only for 3D scene navigation, and not essential for that task. I have abandoned all attempts to use one for model construction or part modification, and only use one for multi-part assembly with snapping turned on. Reason is simply that I cannot reliably make fine adjustments with a 6DOF controller.

I use buttons for most of my NX work and would love to be able to program some of the basics to the left-hand Spacepilot for all the modeling and assembly work. If you get one - let us know how it works out...

I had a pro model and mapped all of the buttons for SW. It was very handy. It would be even more handy today with SW having mouse gestures.

Had one gifted to me, but never really got into using it because I was already used to mouse and hotkeys, and I've only got 2 hands :D I do use a mouse with a few programmable buttons, which greatly speeds up zoom and pan, tilt and rotate.

I have had my Space Pilot since 2005 and had used one before I bought my own. Can't work without it now since I am spoiled and can't remember all of the keyboard hot keys. It even works with non CAD applications like Outlook, Excel and even Firefox. In conjunction with a standard mouse, it just makes life a lot easier and work a lot faster.

Paul

I have used a SpaceNavigator for about 5 years. I dont think i could ever go back to life without one :nopity:

I've been using the Space Navigator SE for probably at least 6 years or so as well.. love the thing :bowdown: its very good.

ive had a wired 3dconnextion for 3 years, use it on solidworks and love it. i basically never have to move my hands from the mouses except to enter numbers. very fun to play with and does improve movement and speed. higly recommended for fun at least

Thanks for the information guys, now I gotta go talk the boss into buying one for me. I'll use the "production" argument.

I would definitely suggest getting one. I too have all my buttons mapped in Solidworks and NX. They particularly work great for programming. Just use the picture below for justification to management...I use it on everything and it hasn't let me down yet!

Image 1.jpg

Best,
Lewis

Back