What's new
What's new

Low cost CAM software similar to Mastercam

tquinn

Plastic
I have been working on sending programs to my newly acquired mill and finally got that figured out. I am now looking to for a free or low cost CAM software similar to Mastercam. I am familiar with Mastercam through use at work but just can't afford it for my shop at home. I would like something functions nearly the same but maybe just not as many capabilities so that I don't have to spend a bunch of time learning new software. I'm looking for 3 axis control. Let me know what you guys think would be most similar to Mastercam and something that still is a good product. I doesn't do me any good if the interface is the same but the software doesn't work. Thanks for your input.

Ok... Mastercam is a pretty expensive software. Not likely to get anything even close for free. I don't know the free cam marketplace, just saying....

I have been working on sending programs to my newly acquired mill and finally got that figured out. I am now looking to for a free or low cost CAM software similar to Mastercam. I am familiar with Mastercam through use at work but just can't afford it for my shop at home. I would like something functions nearly the same but maybe just not as many capabilities so that I don't have to spend a bunch of time learning new software. I'm looking for 3 axis control. Let me know what you guys think would be most similar to Mastercam and something that still is a good product. I doesn't do me any good if the interface is the same but the software doesn't work. Thanks for your input.

Look into Fusion 360, it's pretty cheap (probably free, if you fit their description of 'enthusiast') and the CAM side is good. I can't stand the CAD side, but it's probably better than mastercam.

You cant go wrong with Bob Cad it's not free but it's not close to Master Cam money wise. Lots of help available tons of on line stuff on it. If you spend the time to learn you will be very happy. It's not going to program your parts for you it's not M/C or any of the other $10K programs that nickle and dime you year after year for every little add on and post. It will get the job done. Spend some money it drives me nuts, people spend good money on machines, tools and getting everything set up so they can make their machine shop dreams come true. Then they go out on the internet in search of a free piece of crap to make it all work. You get out of this what you put in I understand your problem you have scraped together every last dime to get this far and just want to get it all going, make some money or see it work. Take the next right step and get what you deserve.

You have worked hard to get this far.
Good luck
Ron

I work for BobCAD CAM....

To learn more about the BobCAD CAM software I recommended checking out my youtube page. I have almost 300 videos show tips and tricks with the BobCAD CAM product line.

https://www.youtube.com/user/depoalo

If there is something specific that you needed to know if the software can do, just email me... I can create a video for you showing how it works.

Another really good option is to get a live one on one demo. This way you can see if the software in action and what it can do for you. I would recommend download a demo and or doing a live demo with any CAD CAM system you are considering.

Case Studies | BobCAD-CAM

You cant go wrong with Bob Cad it's not free but it's not close to Master Cam money wise. Lots of help available tons of on line stuff on it. If you spend the time to learn you will be very happy. It's not going to program your parts for you it's not M/C or any of the other $10K programs that nickle and dime you year after year for every little add on and post. It will get the job done. Spend some money it drives me nuts, people spend good money on machines, tools and getting everything set up so they can make their machine shop dreams come true. Then they go out on the internet in search of a free piece of crap to make it all work. You get out of this what you put in I understand your problem you have scraped together every last dime to get this far and just want to get it all going, make some money or see it work. Take the next right step and get what you deserve.

You have worked hard to get this far.
Good luck
Ron

Ironic post of the year goes to.....!

Another vote for Fusion. I think it is a lot better than most of us realize, there is just such a lack of learning material that it makes it hard to really figure out.

Bobcad is good software for the money. I have used various programming platforms over the years and Bobcad works very well for any job I need to program.

I know you are doing this at home but is it for profit or hobby? Make sure you get a program that will do what you need it to do with out fiddling around with it. While I do think that Fusion is a good program. I would avoid the Autodesk CAM train wreck if possible.

I know you are doing this at home but is it for profit or hobby? Make sure you get a program that will do what you need it to do with out fiddling around with it. While I do think that Fusion is a good program. I would avoid the Autodesk CAM train wreck if possible.

Im confused by your post. I feel the exact opposite. I think fusion is a train wreck while HSMxpress is good. I'm using it in solidworks though not fusion. Fusion messed up my geometry too much to where i can't use it yet.

Im confused by your post. I feel the exact opposite. I think fusion is a train wreck while HSMxpress is good. I'm using it in solidworks though not fusion. Fusion messed up my geometry too much to where i can't use it yet.

Just to clarify, I only mentioned Fusion as being pretty good since the OP was looking for low cost.
While HSMWorks Express is free you would need to purchase SW which is pretty expensive.
I feel that HSMWorks Express is a pretty good also.

Sorry, but I meant all the Autodesk CAM products are turning into a train wreck. Not that Fusion is better than HSMWorks Express.
They should have called it Unicorn CAM. I hear a lot about what is coming but never see it.

unicorn cam has a good ring to it. hahaha

I probably should not be so hard on them. I have made good money using their software. But those days are over and would hate to see some one end up in the same situation, with software that is just not developing and forced to abandon years of work. Just think the OP should make sure that they are choosing what they need especially if they plan to grow and their needs may change. Free always sounds good but can be costly later.

I probably should not be so hard on them. I have made good money using their software. But those days are over and would hate to see some one end up in the same situation, with software that is just not developing and forced to abandon years of work. Just think the OP should make sure that they are choosing what they need especially if they plan to grow and their needs may change. Free always sounds good but can be costly later.

What other cam systems are you looking at?

Back