What's new
What's new

Autocad LT surface area question

smalltime

Banned
I need help on how to determine total surface area for a wire frame dwg.

I draw exclusively in 2D, and I've discovered how to add thickness to a part. Can I use this to determine total surface are somehow?

Don't know if LT has the "Area" command. If yes, then you can use it to determine the area and perimeter. Kinda PITA as you'll have to re-pick the corners individually.
If not, then see if you can turn the outlines into a closed polyline, then type "List" and pick the closed plolyline.
You will get a list of all of it's elements, the area and the perimeter.

Don't know if LT has the "Area" command. If yes, then you can use it to determine the area and perimeter. Kinda PITA as you'll have to re-pick the corners individually.
If not, then see if you can turn the outlines into a closed polyline, then type "List" and pick the closed plolyline.
You will get a list of all of it's elements, the area and the perimeter.

Yes, it does have the area command, but it only works in 2D.

The application is to determine gold plating for a certain product. I was hoping to NOT have to learn to use solidworks, but that's what it's looking like.

You can force LT to work in 3D, by using the X,Y,Z co-ordinates to create features along the Z-axis. However, none of the controls work on the Z-axis and there is no real benefit from it.

If you haven't figured it out on your own yet, here's what you need.

If your shape is a closed polyline as SeymourDumore says to do, choose list and get the perimeter and area of the 2D shape. To figure the surface area use the following formula: Total Surface Area = (2 x 2D AREA) + (PERIMETER x THICKNESS)

Back