What's new
What's new

AutoCAD users HELP!! Sino SDS6-3VF DRO (RS232 port version) question.

Flyer91

Plastic
Since I have my 3 axis Sino SDS6-3VF DROs installed on my mill and my lathe, I want to use the RS232 port feature and software that came with these Sino RS232 featured DROs.
This feature along with the software provided, basically sends the Sino display's data to a PC in a file format that AutoCAD can use.

According to the instructions that came with the Sino software, I need to:

Create a directory named "Sino" on a drive, and copy two files from the Sino software disk (SINOCAD.LSP, and SINOCOM.EXE) into this directory.

Start up the SINOCOM.EXE program and press the square root button to start the data flow from the display to it.

Select and save the data as a SL.TXT file via the SINOCOM program (now running on the PC).

Then start AutoCAD and "in it's command prompt type 'load (disk designation I put the above files into) :/sino/sinocad' and hit enter".

This supposedly will load SINOCAD.LSP, and then I am to use the "Sino" command (now) in AutoCAD to load the data in an SL.TXT file and display in AutoCAD.
Evidently "this point in AutoCAD is displayed very small" so I am to "change the [AutoCAD] point style parameter, and then 'REGEN' "

This all 'reads' fairly straightforward, but since I've never used AutoCAD ... or 'any' CAD program, I'm hoping that this all makes enough sense to somebody that 'is' familiar enough with AutoCAD that they might be able (and would so kind enough as) to explain if this makes sense or not, and hopefully can point me to a compatible version of AutoCAD that's in the well under $100 range.
Like possibly and an older version of AutoCAD that will allow me to do this, or a "light and/or trial version" of AutoCAD, or possibly even a freeware AutoCAD clone that has the needed functions to work as AutoCAD would in the above scenario (will accept the files sent by the SINOCOM program, and has the command prompt, 'point adjustment' and 'regen' functions).

I'm hoping I can prototype parts on my manual machines and have a job shop make up quantities using the AutoCAD files as a result of this. (???)

Thanks guys and best regards,

Gary

Last edited:
Just give the part you made to the job shop and say "make me more just like this". You'll probably want to come up with some tolerances for the critical features.

I may be wrong but as I understand it they charge a hefty set-up charge to use a part to program their CNC machines, that a file doesn't require (???), and if using an offshore house, it's just a lot easier to email a file than to send a part.

Another advantage of saving the data points for any part you manually make is that it allows you to go back and make another, or modify it at a later date.

Best regards,

Gary

Back