What's new
What's new

Autodesk CEO Carl Bass Steps Down

But they'll tie in lots of companies and get lots of lovely lolly! ;-)

I don't give two shits. I paid (dearly) for a perpetual license.
They say it will never affect me.
I would like to think they are telling me the truth. But, I just have a hard time believing it :skep:

I heard Carl Bass interviewed on a podcast a couple weeks ago.

He discusses, among other things, how he learned to machine things. He said he spends a lot of time watching youtube videos, and mentioned watching CNC machining videos, learning how to swap a car engine, etc.

I thought it was interesting that a CEO would be hands on. It could have been BS, but it sounded sincere.

I had a pretty long run with AutoCAD, starting with R14 and ending with 2014. I wanted to like Inventor, but didn't, and ended up switching to Solidworks. No Autodesk for me anymore.

I heard Carl Bass interviewed on a podcast a couple weeks ago.

He discusses, among other things, how he learned to machine things. He said he spends a lot of time watching youtube videos, and mentioned watching CNC machining videos, learning how to swap a car engine, etc.

I thought it was interesting that a CEO would be hands on. It could have been BS, but it sounded sincere.

I had a pretty long run with AutoCAD, starting with R14 and ending with 2014. I wanted to like Inventor, but didn't, and ended up switching to Solidworks. No Autodesk for me anymore.

Definitely not BS :) Have a look at this Youtube video; if you stick with it a few minutes one will see what a serious craftsman he is.

Carl Bass - The Future of Making Things: a CEO’s perspective - YouTube

That said, one suspects he was THE driving force behind Autodesk's foray into design/machining/manufacturing. So its a question of how robust is the commitment to continue along this path given a management transition. And potential interference from the 'activist inventors' down the line.

Fred

Well that corrects my error then! :cheers:

I just downloaded it, will have to see how it goes. Generally not a fan of feature-based CAM but I've not tried very many that work that way.

If you run in to any road-blocks, feel free to hit me up.
I really like it. And will stick with it as long as they honor my maint. contract.
The second they make me go subscription........Fuck Them.

You have to give it a chance to "click" in your head if you are transitioning from MasterCAM.
Once it clicks, you will be good to go.
First step: define your stock and UCS. If you don't, it is a bitch to change later.
Definitely use the set-up wizard if you are importing solids.

Well that corrects my error then! :cheers:

I just downloaded it, will have to see how it goes. Generally not a fan of feature-based CAM but I've not tried very many that work that way.

Atomkinder,

Just to add a few remarks to what Wheelie said. Used Featurecam (FC) for 4-5yrs after transitioning from Camworks (I know, relax and stay calm :)). Then did the beta and subsequent versions of Delcam for Solidworks - essentially Featurecam running inside SW.

As a standalone program FC was capable of alerting the user to changes in models and then bringing those changes in; wasn't as nice as integrated environment, but serviceable.

The tendency for sales people to showcase FC's automation (feature recognition) does something of a disservice to the program. For quick and dirty stuff might work, but otherwise to be ignored. In my estimation, where it shined was in hole recognition; capable of recognizing various hole types and pulling the necessary tools, feeds and speeds to make this sort of work quick and easy.

When it came to features (pockets, slots, etc.) Interactive Feature Recognition was our preferred methodology - not dramatically different from what you may be doing now with HSMWorks.

When bringing in tools, feeds and speeds, the multi-tiered priority system of the tool database is effective without being the nightmare that you are familiar with - the TechDB.

For editing posts (if you do it), the post editor Xbuild is probably the easiest one I've seen for making changes.

I would speculate that FC gives you somewhere between 70-80% of the tool path control that Mastercam does (might have changed in recent years to be higher pct - maybe Wheelie can comment).

The drawing tools in FC are rather primitive to look at, but are quite capable of making all the edits needed to create curves to drive tool paths. Its an area that is almost mysterious until you see some of the videos done by John Kanney (may still be available) at TriMech Manufacturing - I think Automated Solutions now.

Some folks think the interface is too much a reminder of a DOS PC, but if you ignore that I think you will find the program quite good. I never have been able to program parts nearly as fast now as when I was using FC and would gladly go back but for the cost.

Apologies to Len for drifting way off topic.

Fred

The tendency for sales people to showcase FC's automation (feature recognition) does something of a disservice to the program. For quick and dirty stuff might work, but otherwise to be ignored. In my estimation, where it shined was in hole recognition; capable of recognizing various hole types and pulling the necessary tools, feeds and speeds to make this sort of work quick and easy.

When it came to features (pockets, slots, etc.) Interactive Feature Recognition was our preferred methodology - not dramatically different from what you may be doing now with HSMWorks.

When bringing in tools, feeds and speeds, the multi-tiered priority system of the tool database is effective without being the nightmare that you are familiar with - the TechDB.

For editing posts (if you do it), the post editor Xbuild is probably the easiest one I've seen for making changes.

I would speculate that FC gives you somewhere between 70-80% of the tool path control that Mastercam does (might have changed in recent years to be higher pct - maybe Wheelie can comment).

The drawing tools in FC are rather primitive to look at, but are quite capable of making all the edits needed to create curves to drive tool paths. Its an area that is almost mysterious until you see some of the videos done by John Kanney (may still be available) at TriMech Manufacturing - I think Automated Solutions now.

Some folks think the interface is too much a reminder of a DOS PC, but if you ignore that I think you will find the program quite good. I never have been able to program parts nearly as fast now as when I was using FC and would gladly go back but for the cost.

Apologies to Len for drifting way off topic.

Fred

I agree on Feature Recognition. I have never completed a single feature with it, then machined a part. EVER. Worthless to me.

I absolutely hate certain aspects of the tool crib. I can elaborate, but, don't want the high blood-pressure today.

Otherwise, it is very, very "fast". I love drawing (geometry creation) in FC vs. MC. It is light years ahead.
"CLIP" in FC vs. "TRIM" in MC is a joke. CLIP will save you an hour a day! (not kidding if you do a lot of work from GEO like I do)

I also agree that FC offers 70-80% tool path control of MC. But, it gets you there so much faster (once you know what you are doing) you wont care.
I have a job now where I wish I could tune it in a little better. But, with enough time you can get it pretty good.
You can get to 60% real quick. getting to 90% takes work! LOL. FC just can't quite cut the seconds that MC can. It just can't do it.

When you start playing around with more advanced 3-D paths, you will pull all your hair out. No way around it.
I took the online, and in person, classes. And, still struggle with the advanced 3-D stuff. (I admittedly ain't the brightest bulb in the box!)

If you do any 4th-axis stuff, and don't define your stock correctly as the very first step, delete the file and start over, LOL.

Lots of awesome stuff in there once you figure out what it all does!

Also, and I can not stress this enough, set up your interface right off the bat! ( view > toolbars ) I only have 5 of them turned on.
I see a lot of other guys with everything on, and toolbars all over the screen. You only need 5 of them to do anything you want.
If you turn them all on, there are too many redundant ways to accomplish the same thing, and it can make it hard to learn.
I like a clean un-cluttered screen. I also use the heck out of the layers to accomplish the same thing.
My second step on any new file is create 4 new layers (I actually re-name layer-1): GEO, curves, features, surfaces.
If I need more I add as I go, construction geo, op2 origin stuff, etc.

I just watched the video they sent out today.
Not one word said on how they are going to handle existing perpetual licenses.
But, boy they sure pumped subscription. Which, I find to be an absolutely terrible format.

I just watched the video they sent out today.
Not one word said on how they are going to handle existing perpetual licenses.
But, boy they sure pumped subscription. Which, I find to be an absolutely terrible format.

I am not fan of the subscription model, but I don't think anything at this point has changed and likely nothing to add. As long as you pay maintenance every year and never let it expire you will get updates and software will continue to work even after you drop maintenance. You will just be locked at that version for ever. At that point there is no going back.

I dropped my HSMWorks subscription 22days ago due to lack of development on it. I just checked it I can still renew it online and get back on maintenance if I wanted to. It appears as though there is a little bit of a grace period.

I had Carl respond directly to my emails on a saturday morning, you won't find many CEO's that will do that. While to may not have agreed with what is said or did I have to give him credit for being a CEO that would take the time out of his day for the little guy.

Carl appears to be very passionate about manufacturing. I would be more concerned that without his passion the CAM products will not see the attention and resources they once did. Which coincidently was really never enough to begin with on the Fusion/HSMWorks/InventorHSM side.

I think the key phrase with these kind of investors is "unlocking shareholder value". Their primary concern will be creating value for shareholders.

I am not fan of the subscription model, but I don't think anything at this point has changed and likely nothing to add. As long as you pay maintenance every year and never let it expire you will get updates and software will continue to work even after you drop maintenance. You will just be locked at that version for ever. At that point there is no going back.

I dropped my HSMWorks subscription 22days ago due to lack of development on it. I just checked it I can still renew it online and get back on maintenance if I wanted to. It appears as though there is a little bit of a grace period.

I had Carl respond directly to my emails on a saturday morning, you won't find many CEO's that will do that. While to may not have agreed with what is said or did I have to give him credit for being a CEO that would take the time out of his day for the little guy.

Carl appears to be very passionate about manufacturing. I would be more concerned that without his passion the CAM products will not see the attention and resources they once did. Which coincidently was really never enough to begin with on the Fusion/HSMWorks/InventorHSM side.

I think the key phrase with these kind of investors is "unlocking shareholder value". Their primary concern will be creating value for shareholders.

Agreed, regardless of feelings about subscription etc.. Carl's passion for manufacturing technology will likely be sorely missed, along with his incredibly down to earth leadership style. I always found it amusing that he quietly runs his own Instagram, follows a handful of people and once in awhile posts something that he's working on or amuses him. It's quite enamoring.

Hard to know what is really happening with the interaction between activist investors and the existing management structure. In my past experience, when single investors acquire more than 5% of stock, watch out. Your company is no longer your own. I note that the Autodesk stock price has basically doubled over the last year, and I suspect this has the investors frothing at the mouth to take their profits, while doing whatever they can squeeze more out of the customer base (like me). The surprising thing is investors signing onto an extension of the standstill agreement....

Back