Autodesk Changes T&Cs... - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    I'm in the process of moving my second installation to a better machine to buy some extra time living in the past
    You could instal the second licence on a virtual machine and then it will work for as long as your virtual image can be opened, which will be a lot longer than you can get hardware that runs your version of Windows. The hypervisor I use still supports Windows 3.0 and DOS.

You can also pass through the graphics card so there is only a small drop in performance compared to running it directly in the computer itself and it only gets better as you upgrade your computer. Google GPU pass through and linux virtual machines, it's quite complicated but you can then have a different virtual machine for each piece of software or each operating system you want.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosK View Post
    I'm wondering how much truth there is to this, not that I didn't expect it. Maybe just in Europe for now?

I asked AD support yesterday "I heard perpetual licenses will not be supported after next month. Is this true?"

They replied:

"We are no longer selling new perpetual licenses but will continue to support users with existing perpetual licenses like you.
    Sincerely,
    Anne
    Client Services Representative
    "
    Anne is partly right and wrong - perhaps send her the links below...I've spoken with my mate again and he sent me the links.

Summary:

1. 2010 and earlier activations to be cut off on August 31, 2019.

2. 2016 and earlier activations to be cut off sometime in 2021.

Sharpen up the pitch forks!!!

Previous version support change | AutoCAD 2020 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Keep Perpetual/Maintenance Licensing - Page 23 - Autodesk Community

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    Anne is partly right and wrong - perhaps send her the links below...I've spoken with my mate again and he sent me the links.

Summary:

1. 2010 and earlier activations to be cut off on August 31, 2019.

2. 2016 and earlier activations to be cut off sometime in 2021.

Sharpen up the pitch forks!!!

Previous version support change | AutoCAD 2020 | Autodesk Knowledge Network

Keep Perpetual/Maintenance Licensing - Page 23 - Autodesk Community
    Holy shit 2016 software being cutoff in 2021. That's insane.
    It's one thing to end support for software, it's an entirely different thing to kill it.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to be clear what his beef is...
    He's a small 3 man company designing and building aircraft data recorders, data storage, data converters and all the test equipment that goes with it.
    Very bespoke low-volume where he may work on a project for 18 months producing drawings (etc) and then just build this and other existing product for the next couple of years with no new design work.
    So he has 10 year old drawings and data sheets all in Acad LT where he may want to view to make a save/as (and edit) for a new design, or if componentry goes obsolete he may want to load and raise in issue (change) the drawing because it needs a "tweak" to fit the new component.
    So he's bought the software because it's perpetual, stayed away from the cloud for obvious reasons (as well as ITAR), and is not a big user of LT but it is important because of all the history of his company.

Yes he can afford it and it's a tax deductible business expense.
    But it's principles here...

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have mostly avoided AD since the Generic Cadd debacle where they bought it, published a flawed last version that couldn't properly write their own format so you could move to LT or AutoCad. Then there was an early 3D program with a 6 month trial period that they never got working after asking me to hang in there past 6 months and then wouldn't refund my money. The FIRST Robotics kids have been working with Inventor. I have said a good reason to bail is AD owns so little of the 3D market good like finding a job with Inventor on your resume. Looks like I need to push harder on bailing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, it's official.
    ADSK is ending support for 2010 or earlier versions of all their products.

Beginning August 31, 2019, Autodesk will end support for versions 2010 and earlier and ask that you upgrade to a supported version. You may continue to use your product if it is already installed, but Autodesk will no longer provide support, including re-activation, for these versions.
    V2011 will stop 2020, 2012 in ... so on and so on.

Now with all things aside, you think the licensing and activation server is different from say V. 2010 to V. 2018?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I mean from a business point I understand why they are ending support at a cutoff year (Smart Business). Yeah going to piss some off but most are going to buy more product.

Now I hate how they took Inventor and put it in a Bundle with multiple programs and now you cant get Inventor by its self.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Vermont
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DieselMater86 View Post
    I mean from a business point I understand why they are ending support at a cutoff year (Smart Business). Yeah going to piss some off but most are going to buy more product.
    I bet it has less to do with smart business and more with good old fashioned finance. Smart business would say “happy customers are customers who get what they pay for” which is not what this decision to drop support is. Is it really bankrupting the company to have someone there to hit the enter key when someone wants to reinstall an old product? I doubt it. Heck, I bet they lose business as someone said earlier; their autodesk product dies, now they buy Solidworks.

Yet what does the bank like more: predicted sales of “off the shelf” items like perpetual licenses for the next fiscal year, or the guarantee of subscription based services? Even if they make less money, the books look better, which means more financing to buy more software companies. Now they’re “worth more” and are thus successful. What happens if they let the software they just bought “die?” Nothing. Unhappy customers, happy investors. They’ll write it off somewhere or mix it in with a market trend and there won’t be enough grounds to call it corrupt.

I can’t pretend to know exactly what their goal is here, but I bet some obscure finance rule plays into it. Would probably make even less sense if it were known.

I do use autodesk, and I’m 100% sure it’s not the only software company to use shady financing practices to their benefit at the cost of the customer, so it is what it is. When I’m a bit older and a bit crustier, I’ll probably lose my shit when they change stuff too, like they only support Virtual Reality CAD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheelieking71 View Post
    I bet it helps BobCAD!
    I was screwed by AD back when they bought Generic Cad, said we could keep it going and then killed it a year later.......

Been very hesitant to climb on their Fusion wagon and after reading about this am glad I did...

Just bought a seat of BobCAD 31, 4 axis, and so far it is working well, for what I do....

10. Likes wheelieking71 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by swatkins View Post
    I was screwed by AD back when they bought Generic Cad, said we could keep it going and then killed it a year later.......

Been very hesitant to climb on their Fusion wagon and after reading about this am glad I did...

Just bought a seat of BobCAD 31, 4 axis, and so far it is working well, for what I do....
    Yep, AD bought and shut down Generic CAD because it was too much of a threat to Autocad LT. For me it was worse because I had written a 2D CAM add-on for Generic which I intended to market.

Undoubtedly AD will also eventually burn those who are getting deep into F360.

I bought BocCAD 30 because I needed the 4th axis support. Dealing with BobCAD sales people couldn't have been easier, none of the negative sales techniques others have mentioned. I told them what was needed, we negotiated a price that was acceptable to me. Plus that, a local friend got a cash reward for recommending BobCAD to me.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

^^^By memory, AutoDevil bought Generic CADD, released one more release, then killed it as they released LT.
    Where I worked we had 1x seat and was just about to buy 2 more.
    So we bought LT instead but Generic was a great package.
    To this day, I work in LT with a black background and green text. Just like it should be...

Edit - Look at the number of Generic CADD seats they were selling before killing it.
    #NoMorals...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capture.jpg   capture.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by barbter View Post
    ^^^By memory, AutoDevil bought Generic CADD, released one more release, then killed it as they released LT.
    Where I worked we had 1x seat and was just about to buy 2 more.
    So we bought LT instead but Generic was a great package.
    To this day, I work in LT with a black background and green text. Just like it should be...

Edit - Look at the number of Generic CADD seats they were selling before killing it.
    #NoMorals...

My coworkers think I'm weird because my WinCNC is setup with a black background and green text. That's how I've done code since I was in high school, it works for my eyes.

14. Likes barbter, mhajicek liked this post
    Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    My coworkers think I'm weird because my WinCNC is setup with a black background and green text. That's how I've done code since I was in high school, it works for my eyes.
    But it is the only way
    People who point and stare, have never tried it...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I run my Mastercam with black background. Black background and a green system font in the ops manager; it fits more text and is MUCH easier to read than the default.

Country
    SPAIN
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mhajicek View Post
    I run my Mastercam with black background. Black background and a green system font in the ops manager; it fits more text and is MUCH easier to read than the default.
    Ops manager was light grey for me with black font...wanted to keep standardisation with the other seats/grammers

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by converterking View Post
    I saw that earlier. After I read that I started downloading PTC Creo to demo for replacing my 21 years with Featurecam. Im just one person leaving but I'm sure I wont be the last....