What's new
What's new

A axis rotary runs disappointingly slow in multi-point toolpathes

readysetgo

Plastic
Hi everybody. We are making this helical pinion on a mill with a rotary, using the NX cam's variable contour operation. The problem is slow response time of rotary's pneumatic actuator in multipoint curves (or at least it seems to me, cutting my first part on rotary), resulting in very discontinuous and slow movement of rotary in multi point interpolation (it takes 2 seconds for the pneumatic actuator to act upon each command). Is there any workaround or setting that helps in such occasions? Btw, the controller is Siemens 828D.

By "pneumatic actuator", are you referring to the brake? You should use the code to disengage the brake before executing your four axis toolpath, then only reengage it when you're done.

Do what mhajicek says above. The code is machine dependent, so you'll need to figure out what it is. In NX, I pass it through in the operation with a simple Insert at the start of the tool path.

Also make sure your post is spitting out good inverse time feed or DPM code. There are a few chunks of NX post code floating around that handle each of those methods a little differently. There is also the LinTol command which can make a big difference in how NX linearizes and processes multi-axis code.

By "pneumatic actuator", are you referring to the brake? You should use the code to disengage the brake before executing your four axis toolpath, then only reengage it when you're done.
Do what mhajicek says above. The code is machine dependent, so you'll need to figure out what it is. In NX, I pass it through in the operation with a simple Insert at the start of the tool path.

Also make sure your post is spitting out good inverse time feed or DPM code. There are a few chunks of NX post code floating around that handle each of those methods a little differently. There is also the LinTol command which can make a big difference in how NX linearizes and processes multi-axis code.

Thanks alot buddies, you helped alot. It exactly was the rotary's pneumatic brake. The exact stop code (G60) activated the brake at the end of each command.

Back