What's new
What's new

Back to Mastercam Version 9

My boss paid for the upgrade but not training so I still use v9. My coworker had never used v9 so he imports AutoCad and Inventor geometry into X and gets it to work.
Randy

MCX is an absolute pain in the ass if you are used to the old interface (10 years for me). Plus, in my opinion, they made a lot of really stupid changes. Seems like with many software companies they get too into dumbing things down and making tasks "easier" that they forget there are thousands of us that are going to have to re-learn Mastercam now. That's how it feels. Plus it's tough when you're trying to get stuff done and make money and something that took you 5 min. in 9 takes you 45 in X. Bosses son loves it, I hate it, and our supervisor hates it even more.

I found the change pretty easy. Also it is easier for me to teach other "unexposed" people how to use it. For me it was out of curiosity to use it. Now that I have been using it for about a year I have not looked back. I ran into a few troubles with my post processors and still have not gotten all of the bugs worked out. Working with some posts that were written for 8 and have been updated to 9, now X. Still have trouble with feeds in my drill cycle on my heidenhain plain language post. No biggy. 2 second manual fix before bringing it to the machine.

my .02

Husker

It just not Master cam every time a software company upgrade it time to re-learn. The longer you used the older version the harder it is to learn a new version. We all like what we know and use. So learn a new version is more work but if you don't say current when the next release comes out it can be even more difficult to learn

I've had X and Maintenance for over a year now and still haven't spent more than 30 minutes with it. Each time I turn it on, even if only for 5 minutes, I become a little more comfortable. Now that X2 is out, I'm going to make a more legitimate effort to make the switch. The most important thing to remember is that everything is basically the same, it's just located in different places.

One out of 5 and I guess you can say 6 seem to have no problem so far. This is what I see every day. There is a company in our area the have many users and the number is less than that Is Mastercam losing focus? If you read around this forum you see other people talking about other softwares they use that are simple to use some are cheaper. I figured if I have to relearn what is out there, I have downloaded some of them and it is amazing that in some I have tried without books I was able to design and program pretty complex stuff with no problems pretty quickly. Easier cheaper isn't that the way the big companies should go? In Mastercam The maintenance come every six months new changes and looks why? I know this will probably get me some heat but the software companies I tried also did not have resellers taking a big hit so the price is lower. Is it cheaper for a CAD/CAM company to have available tech support by phone or pay resellers to handle this? If you could eliminate the reseller would the software price be cheaper? What are your thoughts?

Well.... I am an old Dog.... I do not like new tricks. When X showed up I tried it and Did not like it AT all!!! What the hell were they thinking...yada yada. Untill I saw the rave reviews comming in from heavy users, Well heck, what is the problem here? It was me ...I was the problem. I started looking at this as an oppertunity instead of a problem. I went to a free welcome to X class, bought Charles Davis's MasterCam Handbook for X and soon I was In Luv with X. And can not believe how I ever used that damn V9. MasterCam got better... I was the same old dog, so I had to get better. Learn it and you will really like it.That's how I sees it anywho. -matt

Madlab,

Hey we have 2 in 6 getting better Glad to hear you like it. It sounds like you had to get a book to help motivate you tolearn the new way. Good book I use it at the college I teach at. the problem with paying over 100 for the books is the 6 month the software changes book becomes obsolete. They keep adding more to it, menus are running deep they chooks folder is overflowing not to mention the vb script stuff. There seem to be many old dogs left that don't have time to relearn. How long did it take you and when did you uninstall v-9.

Yo Teach, Time is a problem.. and so is the hundred bucks. But that is the price to compete.
Pay or stay. I was in a large apprenticeship class
30+ and I still am in contact with some of them.
All of us are over 50 now and some are still trying to stay away from those evil computers. and the ones that learned CNC after the apprenticeship are making 1 1/2 to 2 times as much money as the ones that complain or think their Boss should pay for everything they might learn. I have never worked in a place that would not pay for training or at least part of it anyway, even small Mom and Pop shops will pay if you approach them with the right attitude. Well I am glad there are guys like you that take the time to teach at the collage level. You are to be commended- Thanks, you are keeping the industry rolling. -matt

Thanks Matt for your input. I love what I do because when I learned Mastercam in a mold shop there were no book's or internet and the guy's who didn't learn the Cam system are no longer in the trade. I worked for hours trying to figure out the simplest things today I look back and am glad I stuck it out because hopefully if I can teach another person the software an overseas company is not getting the work and we are keeping it here in the US ( or Canada:)

Tell me why you don't use Mastercam 10 if you have it?

CAM,

Make it 2 out of 7.

I have MasterCam Ver 7, 8 and 9. I actually started using MasterCam in 1990 (don't remember what Ver that was). I looked at Ver X at IMTS this past Sept and I say: No Thanks. I agree with one of the other posters. Why get rid of the Word Address Interface. The better plan would be: Offer both interfaces: Word Address OR Icons. Make it so the user can turn one or the other off, if they so choose. Now, that makes sense - to me.

Lets see: I want to create a LINE, in Ver 9 I click on the word LINE, wow what a novel idea, click on a WORD. With Ver X I have to click on some ICON??? I don't get it. Version 9 will be the last version of MasterCam I will purchase if MasterCam decides NOT to bring back the Word Address Interface.

Then again, they aren't going to fret over losing my 2 seats. But when my 10,000 friends don't re-up, maybe they will take notice.

Ya think?

D_C

Hey D_C,
My Copy of X and now X2 have word Address functions. Really they are there and I use them all the time. I am also slowly getting used to the Stupid icons and they seem to speed me up ONCE I get used to them. Get a Demo of x2 and check them out. I know exactly how you feel. D_C = Direct Current... ;) not... Doesn’t Change. -matt

I learned on MC8 and got good on MC9. The company i was with upgraded to MCX, it was horrible. I used MC9 until we were bought out.

At my new job i use featurecam. It is half the cost or less of MCX and it is much better and so much easier to use. I also recently demo'd edgecam, if your working with solidworks files this would be the way to go.

I really think that mastercam is alot of marketing hype. They had boyd coddigtion pitcing for them, now they have american chopper doing ads.

Next puff daddy will write a rap song about it....

Matt,
Yes I do like they brought that"word Address functions back" Why wold you take it out???? KrazyGlue, I have never tried Feature Cam I think I should, anybody know where I can get a demo version or a timed version. I will learn to teach in Illinois :rolleyes: .

featurecam.com has a free download. you cant post or save. Same as the mastercam educational

They are now using powermill 3d code...they were bought out by delcam recently.

If you have ever use powermill, you will understand why mastercam is not the best 3d program.

I have heard a reliable rumor that they are making a solidworks gold certified product to come in the next few months.

Back