Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Have yet to feel that way about a CAM package though, mostly just the opposite.
    Santa Cruz Mike used to really love Cimatron. One of these days I should drag out the CD and try it out ... You don't hear much about it here, I notice ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Beyond the earlier statement about the Best Cam being the one you Know is finding the CAM package that was developed by people that "Think like You" thus making it for you, "Intuitive." Gibbscam has been the answer for me after trying 3 different systems previously.

I would like to try Cimatron however-- once time permits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The first time I saw this thread I thought "Good God man, are you trying to start a riot!" Lol
    So many people can get bent out of shape about this question.
    But, surprisingly, this one has been mostly OK.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maryland
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm a long time user of Gibbs cam, it does occasionally have its quirks. but 20 years ago I bought the package, was given 4 hrs training on a 2d package. I have never been to school for it and I can surface and model as well as programming my lathe ( on my lathe I find it easier to use a older version versus the new) I can do anything in my shop with it that I need to. I have made 4 and 5 axis parts with it. I now also work for another company that has master cam . so far I just dont get it. not saying I won't in time. but for me Gibbs has done me and my personal shop very well .

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    SolidEdge CAM is basically NX CAM...

And if there was ever any software with a love/hate relationship, it would be NX. Currently, my seat and I are on an upswing as I figure it out, but that means it'll break my heart next week with some overly-complicated bullshit.
    I still can't get their new hole methodology to work for me. Most of the advice I see is "it works great with their feature based machining!", but so far I can't get it to define 1/4 of the features on our parts, much less try to machine them correctly. So until they remove the ability to use point-to-point, I'll stick with the old way.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Ontario
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I learned Solidworks in school and it's still my preferred CAD software. I currently use Inventor at my place of employment and it's not bad, but it's got some ugly features. I also find Inventor is so filed with clutter and useless tools that bog things down. Solidworks has its glitches too, but I find it's a bit more intuitive and the interface is more customizeable. For CAM software I'm using HSM which I absolutely love. It's integrated into Inventor, but I know they also have a version that integrates with Solidworks as well. Having seamless transition between the CAM and CAD is really nice for on the fly part revisions. Makes it a lot easier to update toolpaths etc.

Solidworks has the option of buying and owning a permanent seat whereas inventor is kinda slimy and only offers a lease. The boss has a soft spot for it though so that's the only reason why it's used at my shop.

Both of these CAD softwares are super ubiquitous so it's easy to find tutorials on them, as well as forum support and formal technical support. HSM is also good with post processor service, at least under warranty period. I haven't dealt with em in awhile, so I can't say how they'd be at this point. They essentially wrote us a custom post processor for our Milltronics mill and aside from a few minor tweaks here and there it's worked pretty well.

If it were up to me, I'd have Solidworks with HSM CAM software. Just my two cents anyways.

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sure, I'll bite on this thread...

1) AlexTRCC, 1st post and you've been a member here for over 4 years? Surely you know that ANY post containing the question: "... what is the best..." (fill in the blank: beer? town to live in? car? VMC? ice cream? CAD/CAM program?) .... is probably going to yield about the same number of varying answers/opinions as there are members who responded. In other words: a better question might be: "what are you using for CAD and CAM, and what are the reasons you are using them?". That may yield considerably more useful information.

2) The real answer to the exact question you asked is probably the one Aldepoalo gave: "The one you know". I believe that applies to CAD OR CAM programs (or word processors, spreadsheets, operating systems, or machine controls, etc.).

.... and there's my 2 cents. Another $3.48, and you can get a coffee at Starbucks!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by precisionmetal View Post
    AlexTRCC, 1st post and you've been a member here for over 4 years?
    You may want to check the original thread start date.

There should be an autoclose feature on threads that closes them after a month of inactivity.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by precisionmetal View Post
    .... and there's my 2 cents. Another $3.48, and you can get a coffee at Starbucks!

Disclaimer: This is pre-tariff pricing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pariel View Post
    You may want to check the original thread start date.

There should be an autoclose feature on threads that closes them after a month of inactivity.

I blew right past the posting date and looked at how many posts he has made. So forget that thing about my post being worth 2 cents... it just dropped below zero. LOL

Thanks for pointing it out Pariel !