Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Actually my pet peeve about SW. The dimensioning SUCKS. This is the single best thing about the antique microcadam
    I use. Dimensioning is actually easy and you can get exactly what you want with a minium of fuss.

There's a lotta shit in the drawers in the winnebago. But it goes awfully slow and uses a lot of resources...
    Have you tried the "Autodimension Button"....?....

Don't.....
    Last edited by digger doug; 10-18-2018 at 06:07 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Not really the case anymore. PMI/MBD/Whatever data can usually be imported into cam software that's recent enough to have compatible translators. Not sure if any cam software can actually use it yet automatically, but it's there on screen, visible to the programmer.
    You're right that dimensions will show up depending on the software, but only if you have the native 2d... or something I am unfamiliar with? I was thinking more along the lines of Pro-E/Creo where you could add the datum right onto a solid face. Unless you have a 2d file or some kind of 'marker', I don't know that a stand alone Cam product would be able to 'read' that datum

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dassult also has their own CAD package, Catia. I have not used it. Suppose to be nice. I work in CREO. I did take classes with IMB CADCAM. Way ahead of AUTOCAD at that time. I haven't used AUTOCAD since the mid-90's. About version 14 is when AUTOCAD was were CADCAM was in the late 80s. I did use a version of CADKEY, called SmartCAD. It was OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    You're right that dimensions will show up depending on the software, but only if you have the native 2d... or something I am unfamiliar with? I was thinking more along the lines of Pro-E/Creo where you could add the datum right onto a solid face. Unless you have a 2d file or some kind of 'marker', I don't know that a stand alone Cam product would be able to 'read' that datum
    The summary is D'Assault have MBD, Siemens have PMI. I don't know if others exist. Both are methods of attaching drawing data directly to the solid model, and having everything self contained in one file. Dimensions, tolerances, notes, GD&T etc. All appears as it would on a 2d print, but in model space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    The summary is D'Assault have MBD, Siemens have PMI. I don't know if others exist. Both are methods of attaching drawing data directly to the solid model, and having everything self contained in one file. Dimensions, tolerances, notes, GD&T etc. All appears as it would on a 2d print, but in model space.
    This is now TACOM mandated. All of the tier 2 defense stuff I get is this way.