Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Actually my pet peeve about SW. The dimensioning SUCKS. This is the single best thing about the antique microcadam
    I use. Dimensioning is actually easy and you can get exactly what you want with a minium of fuss.

There's a lotta shit in the drawers in the winnebago. But it goes awfully slow and uses a lot of resources...
    Have you tried the "Autodimension Button"....?....

Don't.....
    Last edited by digger doug; 10-18-2018 at 07:07 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gregormarwick View Post
    Not really the case anymore. PMI/MBD/Whatever data can usually be imported into cam software that's recent enough to have compatible translators. Not sure if any cam software can actually use it yet automatically, but it's there on screen, visible to the programmer.
    You're right that dimensions will show up depending on the software, but only if you have the native 2d... or something I am unfamiliar with? I was thinking more along the lines of Pro-E/Creo where you could add the datum right onto a solid face. Unless you have a 2d file or some kind of 'marker', I don't know that a stand alone Cam product would be able to 'read' that datum

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dassult also has their own CAD package, Catia. I have not used it. Suppose to be nice. I work in CREO. I did take classes with IMB CADCAM. Way ahead of AUTOCAD at that time. I haven't used AUTOCAD since the mid-90's. About version 14 is when AUTOCAD was were CADCAM was in the late 80s. I did use a version of CADKEY, called SmartCAD. It was OK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    You're right that dimensions will show up depending on the software, but only if you have the native 2d... or something I am unfamiliar with? I was thinking more along the lines of Pro-E/Creo where you could add the datum right onto a solid face. Unless you have a 2d file or some kind of 'marker', I don't know that a stand alone Cam product would be able to 'read' that datum
    The summary is D'Assault have MBD, Siemens have PMI. I don't know if others exist. Both are methods of attaching drawing data directly to the solid model, and having everything self contained in one file. Dimensions, tolerances, notes, GD&T etc. All appears as it would on a 2d print, but in model space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The summary is D'Assault have MBD, Siemens have PMI. I don't know if others exist. Both are methods of attaching drawing data directly to the solid model, and having everything self contained in one file. Dimensions, tolerances, notes, GD&T etc. All appears as it would on a 2d print, but in model space.
    This is now TACOM mandated. All of the tier 2 defense stuff I get is this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by digger doug View Post
    Never heard of it, google seems cornfused as well (keeps diverting to autocad)

Got a linky ?
    Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    I've never heard of it either. Tried Google and Yahoo and it brought back Alibre. So I have to ask, if everything else is a clone then why can’t anyone find it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Maybe history escapes me in this case, but I'm pretty sure Autocad was the first PC cad... AutoCAD - Wikipedia

I'm sorry, was jut being facetious. Whenever there's another "Which is the best <whatever>?" thread I usually keep scrolling. Guess I was in a mood that day.
    Never heard of EasyCadd either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 75sv1 View Post
    Dassult also has their own CAD package, Catia. I have not used it. Suppose to be nice. I work in CREO. I did take classes with IMB CADCAM. Way ahead of AUTOCAD at that time. I haven't used AUTOCAD since the mid-90's. About version 14 is when AUTOCAD was were CADCAM was in the late 80s. I did use a version of CADKEY, called SmartCAD. It was OK.
    CATIA was another Dassault/IBM joint venture that is actually used by IBM even now. This was actually a precursor to solidworks, it was/is a true 3D modelling program.

The IBM CADAM (not cadcam) is the original product that was the 2D drafting that eventually grew into the PC-based microcadam that I now use. I learned it when it was mainframe based, using a large CRT tube with
    a light pen to pick and select screen objects. It actually used the raster timing information from the CRT display to determine what object (or portion of an object) was being selected.

Microcadam is *still* way ahead of autocad as far as I'm concerned....

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post

Microcadam is *still* way ahead of autocad as far as I'm concerned....
    In what manner is it still far ahead, if I may ask ....?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SeymourDumore View Post
    In what manner is it still far ahead, if I may ask ....?
    Dimensioning for one. AC is not as bad as SW but it doesn't hold a candle to the ease of dimensioning for Mcadam.

(in particular the autodimension, mentioned above, in SW is atrocious)

To be fair for AC it probably is pretty good for architectural stuff. Industry standard if truth be told. But I don't
    *do* that and so most of the features for what I actually DO are just in the way. Winnebago problem.

Two ways to run AC - via menu picks or by command line short three letter commands. The folks in the know who want
    to work fast, use the latter. Microcadam eliminates the first level of any menu picks with the old FK function key box. First
    level of picks is done with your left hand. The first pick puts you into a setup where keyboard input happens right away,
    typically.

So for my limited use, this stuff is by far the fastest way to get to a shop drawing that can go right into production. The entire
    thing is tiny and once purchased it's mine forever. No need to pay ransomware to autocad or solidworks to keep it working.

For some specific 3D tasks I have to do, obviously solidworks is the only way to go.

Country
    INDIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Solidworks is also the best software for CAD

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PMI implementation in NX has more than drafting in model space. It also has functionality in NX CAM such as feature based machining and bi-directional spreadsheet support.