What's new
What's new

Bobcad - CAM.... happy users only!

Konrad

Cast Iron
After hearing all these negative comments, especially on this forum.
Are there any happy users out there,? besides myself ?

I sure like to hear from you, and what is it, you like about this software?

As for myself, I like the ease of using it, not overly - cluttered with rubbish, a machinist never need.
For most Jobs, what a Job shop does every day, it is very handy!
Konrad

I am familiar with programming from the ground up, machine language and APT, but Bobcadcam V17 is the only modern programming software I know.

Studying it, not using it on a machine, I find it very user friendly and to the point. It probably aims at a certain type of person with a good understanding of programming.

I can well imagine it is the only software I would ever need in a small shop. So far there is nothing I can find wrong with it at all.

I heard some criticism, giving exact problem details, but didn't have the time yet to check it out further. Will be interesting to check it out.

I am glad to hear that you are using it and like it.

The "liking it" part seems to be the most important. Unless there are really some basic flaws that irritate some people because they may have a different application for the software where they stretch the limits on what it is desigend to do.

Other than having a pricing scheme I don't understand, I'll place my vote in the "like it column" overall.
I purchesed V19 and have had my trouble with it. Most of that was due to not saving the file in ACAD the way BobCAD needed it so it got frustrating sometimes, and still does. For that alone I made the new purchase to V20 a few days ago and at an even better price.
I looked hard at OneCNC also a few months back. Went through the on line demo, and used one of their older demo's of the program. My thoughts on it... Yeah, it works, but for my molds it does things about the same as BobCAD and costs a bunch more. Also the on line demo guy rubbed me the wrong way a few times while talking to him. Hard sell just doesnt work on me and his tactic helped send me away.
Now if V20 gets here this week and I still have those troubles in how I need to save out my ACAD drawings, I'll change my thoughts.
Cheers.

Can bobcad import drawings from something like autocad or solidworks? IGES or STEP files perhaps?

I would like to generate toolpaths but have no desire to redraw parts

Oooo..5 already....nice! :D :D

damnonfg,
Version 20 can handle:

Cad dgn.
Rhino Files 3dm
Step files
Iges "
DWG "
DXF "
Text Drawings

And also a nice future, dynamically rotating on screen, after render surface or solids.
Text along a curve
Solid fonts
Some single line fonts added
Tapered wall pocketing
Tool path for tip or tool center
Automatic profiling
Extrude surface
Extrude curve

Konrad said:

"Version 20 can handle:

Cad dgn.
Rhino Files 3dm
Step files
Iges "
DWG "
DXF "
Text Drawings"

Has anyone actually tried this with files from another company or is this just sales speil?

V18 was suppost to be able to handle IGES but even our reseller couldn't get it to do that when we asked and he supplied the file !!

John S.

There's more to an igs file than most salesmen will know.

Don't be fooled because a program says it can "import" a certain file, when in actual fact, it can only import a fraction of it. The sad part is, that the guys who are attracted to Bobcad typically have no clue that they are not getting the "whole file contents". I speak from experience.

I downloaded the demo the first 4 files I tried it crashed the system on all of them.

Then I found that it took over all the file types as though they were theirs and took an hour to clean the crap from the PC.

There is a whore chaser behind every post with this clan it seems so be wary if you plan to test it.

i have every cadcam package on my software donload hub imaginable and i ahve never even bothered to open bobcad. just something about the name...bobcad.
kinda like going to see Doctor Bob or Attorney Bob that just kinda scares me.

Happy users only, Hum.... Nope not going to happen. The only positive thing I can say is I use the DNC and that is the only thing that works.

i've used a demo of several b.cad mill prog's and have
to say that 14.1 was the only to actually function.
if i were making plastic molds i'd find a reason
to afford surfcam or mastercam...........but
for contours and pockets and anything i don't care
to trig out 14 was o.k.......the later ones sucked bigtime

anyone know if you can still get mill-14. ??

I forgot to mention, I'm still using Version 17, when I bought it, they gave me a free V18 upgrade, but I like the feel of 17 better.
I think, it's a good Starter Software, until you can afford something better.
I use it on the only CNCmill we got.
Just bought Version 20, still practicing!
Konrad

Don't forget to practice the lathe because then you will really find out what crap it is.
They seem to try an adapt the pocket function in to some raw form type of lathe and thats it.
It will take all of 10 minutes to find that it is a farce because it is next to useless.
And some actually part with cash for crap it's unbelievable!

Back