What's new
What's new

BobCad Lathe How to change settings to approach the material from the front of lathe

DaleMcMahan

Plastic
Doe anyone know what settings to change in BobCad to allow the tool to approach the workpiece from the front of the workpiece? The default is to approach from the rear and I cant figure out how to change it.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

In general terms (non-Bobcad specific) if you are referring to the way that the GUI looks, just change the way you think about it. So long as the axis movement has the correct signs to make proper parts, you're golden.

You can do this by imagining where you are looking at the coordinate system from as being from above, or below or behind the lathe. After a while your mind will get used to transposition.

Doe anyone know what settings to change in BobCad to allow the tool to approach the workpiece from the front of the workpiece? The default is to approach from the rear and I cant figure out how to change it.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

First, you need to state what version you are running.

Then, you need to give a bit more info on what you are actually doing.

Is this an OD profiling cut? A facing cut? An ID boring cut?

In generic terms, there is a "page" in your toolpath set up that addresses both approaches and exits. And, they are very manipulable. But you need to give some more info to be able to direct you properly.

HuFlungDung is also correct, in that it is possible that you are dealing with a converted toolpost lathe and not a rear turret lathe. Still, as long as your tools are actually defined correctly and your post is configured correctly, it really shouldn't matter.

Dale,

Most likely what you are talking about is the position of the geometry and display of the toolpath.

2019-05-03_16-17-39.jpg

If you are working on a tool room lathe, the tool post is on the front side of the machine. With BobCAD it doesn't matter if you are on a slat bed or tool room lathe, we position the geometry and toolpath in the same position ( see image above ) and the post processor handles the Z and X values.

For those users that want to see the toolpath in the " correct position" what I recommend is using a bottom view. This way the geometry and toolpath is displayed like it would be when you are standing in front of the machine. Make sense...

unless I am missing something here.

Last edited:

Back