What's new
What's new

Cad/Cam--Post Processors

Noise

Plastic
Being new to Cad-Cam and in the shopping to buy process....would it be safe to say that the post processor should be a key point when talking with the sales reps and going through the demos?

BTW software is for programing Chmer Wire EDM

Mike

My personal opinion is that the post processor is a deal breaker if they can't give you one shown to work to your satisfaction on your own machine.

Some CAM systems use the post as an independent program that takes the CAM data and turns it into the G code, others incorporate part of the post into the CAM program and the two become interactive, and updates to the post affect the functionality of the CAM program. I've used systems that work both ways. CAM salesmen typically tell you that the company has hundreds of posts and they certainly have one that will work on your machine, and if they don't, you can create one easily with their EZpostcreator software bla bla bla... If this is your first time, say BULLS***! Demand that they provide one that works on your parts on your machine, add the cost into the quote, and make it part of the contract, such that if it doesn't work, and work correctly and completely, you don't pay anything to them at all. If you have post problems, CAM will be a nightmare. I've been down that road, I'm still trying to get what I was promised on my second CAM system 10 years ago.

Just my opinion - your mileage may vary...

10 years ago Mastercam offered one "working" post with the purchase of the software. Meaning you post with a generic, and whatever doesn't work/you don't like you can email the code to one of their post writers and they will tweak it for you. I don't know if they do that anymore.

It is safe to say...
No Post, no deal, no exceptions... If you can't get the appropriately configured data to your machine, what good it it??? If they have to write a special post, like Mudflap said get it in writing.

Thanks for the responce guys...thats kind of the route I have been taking. After going through a few online demos seems like the reps just want to show me how they can flip and spin their example parts around...although that looks neat...i'd really like to see code to my machine cutting.

Mike

It sounds like you understand the problem. No matter how slick the program runs on your desk, all the time you save is wasted when you have to redo the code before you send it to the machine. And OH!, the crashes...!

ok one more note on this....now that I have sent DFX. prints and sample code to sales reps they still will only run through the demo using my print but only show me a sample of the code during the demo.....am i wrong or is it to much to ask to send me the code to see if i can cet it to run on my machine.....i am being specific on this because that is the problem on my current software...the post is not right and what support was there to start with is all but gone

They still garentee post just dont want to get burned again

Assume that the guarantee is worthless, and go from there. You might be running into the situation that the salesmen are not tech support people, and really don't know enough about the posts to give you what you need. Ask 'what will it take' to get a working program on your machine for a part representative of your normal work, and ask to work with a tech person long enough to get that result. This will accomplish a second result, it will show you what that reseller's support department is like - how knowlegeable, how available, and how helpful they are. I myself would offer to pay for the program, if necessary. (as long as it works!)

Back