UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default CAD Translator

Good morning,
    I have been working with importing workholding fixtures from Fusion into InventorHSM. Its not working out so well. Can anyone here recommend a really good CAD translator? Thank you in advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cmmpro1 View Post
    Good morning,
    I have been working with importing workholding fixtures from Fusion into InventorHSM. Its not working out so well. Can anyone here recommend a really good CAD translator? Thank you in advance.
    Fusion has translators built in...as does all CAD/CAM software.

You really need to take a class on this stuff. Fumbling over the most minute details will greatly delay any real learning.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    Fusion has translators built in...as does all CAD/CAM software.

You really need to take a class on this stuff. Fumbling over the most minute details will greatly delay any real learning.
    When you import the fixtures from Fusion to Inventor, something is lost in the translation. I've tried it. Someone from here has done it as well. I'm sorry for bothering you guys about the minute details. I'm just trying to learn. I won't ask anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What file format are you using for the import/export? What exactly is lost?

I haven't used inventor HSM, but I often use STEP files for transferring CAD data between programs. Better than STL for most things, if supported. Hopefully someone with experience specific to those two applications will chime in- what does/does not work really depends on the specific combination of the two programs and what data you are trying to preserve.

You'll get less blow-back from people here if you ask more specific questions and provide more info so we don't have to ask tons of follow up questions to figure out your problem. People here are also sticklers for informative thread titles. Like "Best way to transfer models between Fusion and InventorHSM?" rather than "CAD Translator". People want to help and will but get grumpy if you waste their time

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, you didn't state what sort of files formats you were trying to import. Personally, I've never seen any translators that will convert the native file formats properly from one system to another. Therefore, universal file formats, STEP, IGES, Parasolid or DXF must be used, with STEP being the generally accepted format for cad data files these days. Also, different systems have quirks on how/if they will import complete assemblies or multiple parts in a model; for example NX will import some exported STEP assembly files, with a zillion parts, and you don't know the STEP file was an assembly until NX converts and places 1000 screws in your directory and an assembly. You may have to test a few things to see how the system behaves using the STEP import and export translators, and perhaps convert one format to another. (i.e. from Fusion, use export STEP file; to HSM, import STEP)

Oh, I've never had any luck with translators for DXF 2D drawings/drafting (2D DXF cad data are OK). Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't think there are any stand-alone translators,but I could be wrong.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you guys for the info. I think there's a option in InventorHSM that can fix it. I'm doing some research now on it. There are some CAD translators out there. I think Rhino has one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro