Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jeffrey -

Given your experience I think I am in danger of suggesting something that you have already considered and dismissed as 'not modern' but the APT based CAM systems (APT, EXAPT, COMPACT etc) were certainly command line (text file) based and met your criteria for a 'master CAM program' without needing to work with G code. Only limited interest in these systems nowadays, but have a look at Visual CamScript if this is the kind of thing you had in mind.

http://www.cncfocus.com/

If you search the forum you will find some discussion of this in the past.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by billmac View Post
    Jeffrey -

Given your experience I think I am in danger of suggesting something that you have already considered and dismissed as 'not modern' but the APT based CAM systems (APT, EXAPT, COMPACT etc) were certainly command line (text file) based and met your criteria for a 'master CAM program' without needing to work with G code. Only limited interest in these systems nowadays, but have a look at Visual CamScript if this is the kind of thing you had in mind.

http://www.cncfocus.com/

If you search the forum you will find some discussion of this in the past.
    Hi
    Many thanks you are a treasure
    Just sent cncfocus a email looks very interesting
    Will keep in touch
    Best regards
    Jeff

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will be interesting to see how you get on with it. Hope it does the job for you.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oklahoma
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Language-based Part Programming - APT

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey atkinson View Post
    Hi Guys
    Many thanks for your replies
    My conclusion is that modern Cam systems are ideal for moulds and 3D milling but for 2 1/2D seem to be more difficult to edit than my old command system and G-code
    General Engineering London (now sadly gone). Machined large aluminum 5 Axis components for Airbus on big 4 axis horizontals and 6 axis Boko's using NCL 5axis Cam (very clever guys)
    They also machined very large magnesium auxilary gearboxes very accurate and complex parts lots of op's, tools and many boring heads, I asked how NCL coped the reply was we programmed them manually in G-code

PLEASE IS THERE A MODERN CAM SYSTEM SUPPORTING A COMMAND TYPE LANGUAGE OUT THERE

Regards
    Jeff
    Jeff, you have the right idea. And your answer is APT.

I hope you found your solution in Visual CAM Script software. But it looks like that is no longer available. There are other reworks of APT, though, and I am hoping to contribute to the open-source project for 'aptos', or something similar. I have compiled 'aptos' on a 64 bit Raspberry Pi 4B computer hardware that costs less than $200 - everything but the monitor. I can share instructions on how to set it up to run better than any Windows system I ever had.

And there are open-source solutions for just about any application you would ever hope for. Here is the aptos link:

Aptos download | SourceForge.net

my email is: [email protected]