What's new
What's new

Cam programs for multi axis lathe machining

zschary

Aluminum
Hello
can i get some reasonably priced CAM alternatives for MULTI axis lathe machining, y axis sub spindle etc..
i am a happy ONECNC customer, but for a new machine that requires addl axis integration, wondering if there is a 3 d model based or easy to use cam system for that purpose.. Machine runs a fanuc 18t
cost is a concern, as well as ease of use.. I tried to reach someone on the phone from Fusion 360, seems like there is really a different level of support there, lower, then what i am used to .(patrick at onecnc is the best on that) And i have had a bunch of experience trying to get various postings to work, and it makes me nervous you cant just call someone if your having a production issue or other..
what say you guys? I may be fine on the cam i am using, just looking for what other guys like to use...
big thanks
Zach

Don't bother with Fusion 360. The lathe side is very weak right now, and I would think it would drive you insane trying to program a y axis live tool lathe on it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've found Esprit and Partmaker/FeatureCAM to be of similar ease of use and workflow while I've been shopping around. I still haven't decided which I'll use since the lathe is still running a turn key and the swiss machine that is incoming has its own software (Tsugami Abile) which seems fine for the parts we make. There might be something better for turning but I have multi axis lathe and 5-axis VMC concerns.

Either one is many thousands of dollars per year for a seat, though. I've got local Autodesk support so I may end up staying with them for everything (we run Inventor/HSM).

Honestly I spent a few days this week digging through the turn key code to fix some things for a revision, and it almost seems like most lathe work would not be too hard to hand program for many parts.

was hoping the fusion thing would be a possibility.. they actually called today and we have a session in the AM with a tech that will walk me through the program in real time..
i will report if i find anything from that meeting..
i think esprit is the really expensive one? what about bobcad? chime in if you are running a mill turn lathe using cam software
thank you again

Zach
I just got onecnc demo for mill/turn today and well play with it for a couple weeks .. I got mill express from them a couple years back and its hands down the best 2 1/2 axis software I have seen in 37 years in the trade.. they just has a great offer to up grade so I jumped at the chance to
upgrade to the Professional in that I do a lot of 4th axis and was having to play with the 2 1/2 axis to do 4 axis indexing work...

I went from wire frame to solids in about 4 hours of playing with it ...

been running onecnc for years and its not going anywhere for our mills, and depending on my research, will stay for the lathe too.. I agree with all you say.. I have the expert version of mill with the addl axis for the 4rth and could not be happier with the customer service and product.. let me know how the mill turn looks when you get going on it.. thank you

I enjoy using Partmaker Swisscam. Ive been on it for 2 1/2 years now, seems pretty straight forward with good tech support. Much quicker than WinCNC, lol.

Back