What's new
What's new

CAM System for Multitasking Lathes

rootsandstones

Aluminum
I'm looking for a CAM System for our CNC lathes. The machines are Index C100 with Siemens SINUMERIK 840D sl. The machines have two spindles and three turrets with Y-Axis.

As a CAD system we're using Solidworks and for our Mills we're using Mastercam. At first I thought we should also get Mastercam for the lathes with a custom made PP. But I've heard there are better CAM systems if you want to program synchronized multitasking.

At the moment I'm programming with a mix between programming in a text editor, machine cycles and copying milling operations I'm doing in Mastercam. But that's not very efficient and it's really easy to make mistakes this way.

Important for me:
Importing Solidwork files
Set Sync points for the channels
Being able to use all 4 axis (for chamfering)
Posting finished programs for all three channels

Esprit is probably the most common software for that sort of work but I’m a Gibbscam user and know it will handle everything you’re looking to throw at no problem.

Hello.
I have esprit. I like it because it's not owned by some big company. It does import solid works. If you go the esprit route be sure to get training as sometimes it's bass ackwards in certain things, and the knowledge base thing. Also be prepared for some teething troubles and machine setup problems but that's part for the course.

I'm looking for a CAM System for our CNC lathes. The machines are Index C100 with Siemens SINUMERIK 840D sl. The machines have two spindles and three turrets with Y-Axis.

If you are already a mastercam customer, you want to look at Mill-Turn not the Lathe product.

It's worth contacting the dealer to see if they have a post yet. I checked and there is one for the Index G220 but not the C100. Your machine might be in progress.

Mastercam CAD/CAM Software > Solutions > Mill-Turn Solutions > MT

here is whats new in 2019, it shows the sync manager and machine simulator at the end..
YouTube

Try Esprit, Emco is a partner with them and they have their own 3 turret w/y, 2 spindle and 840d machine, so the post should pretty much be there that style machine.

When you demo with someone, run the VAR through the paces to program a typical part for you and perhaps with a part that is more challenging. Take a close look at the sync manager and also simulation. With good simulation you will not crash.

This is a sizeable investment so don't feel like you have to narrow down a demo to just one product.

Back