What's new
What's new

Cam works

wolf44

Plastic
I am looking for feed back on cam works. I have been using surfcam since 1999 and just fed up with it. I use Solidworks for all my design work and I am looking for a cam package to integrate with solidworks to run my chip machines. I do some 3d machining and use 4th axis rotation.
Any feed back of the pro's and cons would be helpful.
How's the support ?
Is their training good ?

Thanks

Wolf,

If your SWx subscription is up to date, give Solidworks CAM Standard a whirl, it is included in SWx 2018 for those on maintenance. Whatever you learn in SWx CAM Standard translates up to the higher packages.
If you are trying out different CAM systems, give GibbsCAM a try. They have a thirty day trial offer. The UI has been updated and the posts are solid. GibbsCAM has some good online training options to get you started.

Chazsani

Sent using CIMCO Edit DNC

Wolf,

As for support, first level support is your VAR... then it rolls up to HLC/CAMWorks, but you generally do not get to talk with the folks at HLC/CAMWorks.
Training is typically done by your VAR or a VAR.

Chazsani

Sent using CIMCO Edit DNC

Why not try Mastercam, the reseller is in Snellville. Just ask for Allen Drost, he is the owner and has been in business for a long time. Very helpful staff and all around easy to work with.

I am a Solidworks CAM professional user now for about 8 months. This is CAM works as supplied by Solidworks. I am not a power user and don't have too much other than some limited use of Fusion360 to compare it to. I like it. It has done what I need. My complaint so far, and it is not a big one for now, is that support has been not great. This is mostly because my Solidworks VAR is new to CAM works. I think/hope this will work its way out as they get up to speed with CAM works. For more detail see this post:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ic-trochoidal-adaptive-mill-toolpaths-352156/

I've been using Camworks since 2006. I have a love/hate relationship with it, but the fact is, I've felt that way to some extent about every CAM package I've ever used. Integration with Solidworks is seamless. It operates a little differently from most packages, in that the system finds, or you create, machinable features to start with (in milling, pocket, slot, hole, etc.). You then apply a machining strategy to each feature, which contains tool choice, default speed and feed, lead-in, lead-out, depth-of-cut and other such machining parameters. Tool paths are then generated from the sum of each feature and strategy. The hard, or rather, tedious part is editing your machining database to get the common strategies you would use (it comes with very little). After that, programming is pretty easy. However, you don't have to sit down for days and bang out strategies. You can edit machining parameters as you go, and then save back strategies to the database. In time, you'll have what you would use maybe 80% of the time. Your other challenge will be postprocessors. They "say" your VAR will provide what you need, and depending upon who yours is, that may be true. I did not have that experience. They do include a post generator program, which I learned how to use, so I can create and maintain posts as I wish. Support, as stated above, is through your VAR. Again, not knowing who yours is, I can't say how good it would be. Our VAR is Access Manufacturing, and I can say that support has been good. Maybe not excellent, but good.

I am looking for feed back on cam works. I have been using surfcam since 1999 and just fed up with it. I use Solidworks for all my design work and I am looking for a cam package to integrate with solidworks to run my chip machines. I do some 3d machining and use 4th axis rotation.
Any feed back of the pro's and cons would be helpful.
How's the support ?
Is their training good ?

Thanks

I have used Camworks for the last 12 years. I like it and really do not have any problems I can't solve while using it. Pros, I would say it you are a solidworks user then you should have no problems with the interface. Depending on how picky you get with your programs there should be no problems using this software. The support has been real good and at time my reseller has helped me out when needed. The cons are they seem to make changes a lot so I usually do not upgrade to the latest until a couple of service packs have been released. The training has been good but don't expect to know everything right away. Looks at the demo files and youtube videos for ideas and help. When you get training have them use your parts and show them files that you have programmed. Keep the parts simple and try to have them duplicate your programs.

I have been using Camworks for 6.5 years. Previously was Mastercam standalone for 3 years. I like Camworks quite a bit more. The support has always been great with Cimtronics as a seller. However, they were recently bought out by Hawk Ridge Systems. So as long as the team that I have been working with stays on board, then I will be happy.

As Shawnrs says, wait until at least SP1 comes out, maybe even SP2 before you upgrade. The initial release can be fucky with some things.

To piggy back on what has been said. My only complaint so far has been my VAR and their complete lack of knowledge on CAMworks. In their defense they used to rep some of the CAM tools that now Autodesk bought so they sort-of got screwed. Now with Solidworks including CAMworks they have become a CAMworks VAR so I hope it will get better. But, I think it was Chazsani who informed me in another thread that if the VAR is no good you can sign up with another. If it were me I would check out the VAR's understanding of the product (most critical) and shop around if they are not good. Rainman helped me getting my post working which I am very grateful for.

It would be nice and smart too if CAMworks would come up with a migration path for Solidworks owners who what to move beyond SW CAM into full blown CAMworks.

Well, I'm going to be a little different. OneCNC has the very best support thru Patrick at OneCNC West, and it is a joy to use. Also, their 4th axis module is the best I've ever used, and the simulation is great, especially for the 4th axis stuff. Simulates like you machine it.

I have been using Camworks for 6.5 years. Previously was Mastercam standalone for 3 years. I like Camworks quite a bit more. The support has always been great with Cimtronics as a seller. However, they were recently bought out by Hawk Ridge Systems. So as long as the team that I have been working with stays on board, then I will be happy.

As Shawnrs says, wait until at least SP1 comes out, maybe even SP2 before you upgrade. The initial release can be fucky with some things.

Hawks Ridge Systems has been real good so far with me.

As far as how-tos, both Hawk Ridge and Go Engineer have a number of You Tube videos covering a number of Solidworks and Camworks techniques.

Back