What's new
What's new

camworks or cr*pworks???

jhearons

Cast Iron
after a long day, actually several long days, spent reprogramming parts that were ravaged by bugs in the new release, i'm just wondering what the benefits are to using camworks? is anyone out there using it to program a horizontal? have you had trouble with assemblies using cw2006? this has been one of the sh!ttiest weeks i've had in quite a while and it's all because of cw. the gibbs guy is coming out on thursday. i'm simply looking for arguments in favor of cw because my boss already bought one cam package and i don't want to let my hatred for cw cause him to have to buy another. i've been fighting the system for 2 weeks and have yet to get a solid answer from my reseller as to what the problem is. best i got is "they hope to have your issue resolved with sp1, due out in a week or so". this is after a week (5 days, 2 10 hour shifts) has been lost fighting the software. all comments are appreciated.

sorry i dont know cam works...
but maybe its just the post for your machine...
sometimes the posts need to be tweaked to work...

whenever i use mastercam for my lathe jobs, i have to rewrite some of the program because mastercam does not output exactly what i need...

I have customized a post for my machine, and now the fixing, and re-writing have been reduced by about 80%... but the post is still not perfect, and i still have to make little changes here and there...

Is that your problem ?
just imperfect code ?
is the math/geometry correct ?

Good luck

no, the problem is that features in the assembly come and go. when i need to rebuild one, it is suddenly impossible. so i have to recreate the feature and associate the new feature with the old one. when you have 100 features and 40 or 50 of them are doing this at any given time... well it's no fun. the best part is, after you recreate a feature, the new version will take a sh!t also. the post works just fine.

vidieo card issues?
Or other hardware issues?
Have you checkes your system specs against the published requirements?
Just a thought

Jim

We are just getting started with cw where I work.I usually am working on vmc's and some of the programming seems a little wacky but some of it works well.I know that most of the programs for the large horizontal mills are not working well at all.They are having a lot of problems with approach points and rapid moves that take off past machine limits.

why upgrade at all if it is causing problems? run cam works for old stuff and bring in a different package for the new.

I don't know anthing about camworks but I will tell you that before I spent a nickle on Gibbs I would call Onecnc and ask to talk to Michael. Their cadcam system is Very reasonably prices and so easy to use evein I can use it quickly and efficiently. The learning curve was almost non existant. Try it you'll like it.
Fred T

Don't waste your time trying Pi's version of OneCNC, as it bears little resemblance to the current product. I myself started out with OneCNC 2000, (which is quite similar to OneCNC2003 which Pi has a crack for), but was not really comfortable with it until the OneCNCXP series came out. Now, OneCNCXR2 is being released, with true 4th and 5th axis capability.

actually i was not recommending onecnc; nor, would i ever. plenty of better things here.

Back