What's new
What's new

Camworks Post for a Brother Speedio

Pete Deal

Titanium
I am using Solidworks CAM Professional (CAMworks) and need a Brother Speedio post.

I currently have an older Brother with the A00 control and have a post for this but not one for a Speedio (which I have on order).

Anybody got one?

Camworks won't supply one?
It's extremely similar to a generic 3ax Fanuc post. Not much editing you would have to do on your end to make it "perfect".

My VAR said they will write me one for a price. The price was not bad really, $400 maybe, and I may do that but I just thought i would inquire.

I think my A00 control post will work fine but I never implemented the G100 tool change so it needs a little tweaking too.

Did your Solidworks CAM come with Universal Post Generator? Camworks does. While you may not have time to learn it right now, you might find it advantageous to learn to use it. That way, you can tweak your post(s) however you want, now and into the future.

rainman- You may not remember but you helped me get my existing post working. I do have the UPG and the EC editor. The original post required editing in the EC editor (which you did for me) to get the G77 gcode working. I assume the same will be required for at least the G100 tool change code.

The thing that is a little frustrating is that it seems that if any post editing is necessary beyond what can be done in the UPG, which is limited, then it is all shrouded in mystery. I'm a little skeptical about paying my VAR to do a post because I can't see how they are going to know how to edit the post without detailed knowledge of the machine (which they don't have) or having the machine there. I have a feeling they'll just jump into the UPG do a few easy things and call it done. I did try to inquire on getting some training on editing the post with the EC editor and got no response.

Day to day the CAM has worked very well for me but the training offered never seems to go beyond entry level stuff so I have figured out most of what I need beyond the basics on my own. I did change VAR's at the end of last year because the previous one was pretty clueless but I have not determined if the new one is any better yet.

If you do end up doing some post editing, don't use UPG itself for editing, only for compiling. Doing extensive edits in UPG can cause corruption. It's not really meant for that. It's basically meant for constructing a starting point .src file from which you do your customization. Use a text editor; EC Editor is the best for this purpose. Editing posts is not the easiest thing in the world, but there is a reference manual that explains the language syntax, as well as a complete reference guide in the Help menu of UPG. "If" you have the time, I'd recommend learning it. It does take time, though. I learned by reading existing code. Didn't happen overnight, though. There also is a large library of source files on the Camworks web site. I see plenty of Brother posts, which you may not want to use in entirety, but may be a good source of "cut and paste" for your current post. I've done plenty of that.

While I don't have the time to write you an entire post, I might be able to help you with an individual situation from time to time.

Thanks rainman that's very helpful. Learning how to do this myself is my goal. I didn't realize the docs were in the upg help file.

Also, I will look some more on the CAMworks site too. Since I am not really a camworks customer but a solidworks customer it seems that what I can see on the camworks site is limited. Maybe I need to look some more. It has been about 2 years since I have thought about this stuff.

If you register, you'll have access to the whole site (except the resellers area). Click on the log in button at the upper right, and then "register" It will tell you what you need to create a username. Your UPG package should contain the reference guide. If not, you can download UPG from the site. In the Support tab, the first selection is "post processor library", where you can find all the posts they've made available.

Camworks won't supply one?
It's extremely similar to a generic 3ax Fanuc post. Not much editing you would have to do on your end to make it "perfect".

Agreed. The only things that you really need to add compared to a generic Fanuc post are:

1- G100 tool changes.

2- G77 Tapping

3- M298 Lx High Accuracy codes (depends on the Fanuc post what level of that has been implemented for the various system Fanuc offers).

4- Depending on the CAM and if you have a 4th, make sure you do proper transitions between operations that go from one index/height to another.

Back