CAMWORKS post for a Brother Tapping Center
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    252
    Likes (Received)
    319

    Default CAMWORKS post for a Brother Tapping Center

    I just bought Solidworks 2018 and it includes CAMworks. My intent is to use it with my Brother TC-S2A. I have been incrementally working on getting a post working. Is anybody here using CAMworks with a brother and got a post for it?

    I am stuck for the moment with tapping. The brother uses the G77 cycle for rigid tapping. This cycle uses either J(tpi) or I(pitch) to specify the feed rate. Since i am using inch measurements CAMworks spits out a threads per inch number for metric taps which is how the metric taps are specified in the tool crib too. So for a m3x0.5 tap it spits out F.0197 for the tapping feed rate. I am going to call Yamazen to verify but I suspect the G77 cycle will accept J.0197 for the feed rate. But is 4 figures (.0001) good enough for rigid tapping or does it need to go out to 5 (.00001)? I think on my mazak lathe I specify the thread feed out to 5 digits.

    Any insight that is out there I would be grateful for.

  2. Likes TopSolidCAM... liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    572
    Likes (Received)
    339

    Default

    J = threads per inch
    I = metric pitch, much easier to use. (assuming you control uses the same format as the one I have)
    ie 1.0, 1.25. etc.....
    Frank from Yamazen told me he uses I does not equal inch as a reminder.

  4. #3
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    257
    Likes (Received)
    818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    J = threads per inch
    I = metric pitch, much easier to use. (assuming you control uses the same format as the one I have)
    ie 1.0, 1.25. etc.....
    Frank from Yamazen told me he uses I does not equal inch as a reminder.
    Ya. Always thought that was super logical.

    Our HSMWorks post just looks at how the tool is defined (metric/inch) and outputs I/J based on that.. Never had an issue, but using B00 control, your s2a is probably A00

  5. Likes dstryr liked this post
  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    252
    Likes (Received)
    319

    Default

    A00 control yes. I am still pretty green with this but in CAMworks one of the first things you do is to select the inch or metric tech database. I work mostly in inch so selected the inch. After that it seems to internally work completely in inches. Even metric taps defined in the tool crib are specified with inch pitches and inch diameters. I think i said it wrong above I think the feed would be J50.8 (50.8 threads per inch for an m3x0.5 tap). I assume the G77 will work with such a pitch. I will try it by hand to see. Then try to modify the post.

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gilroy CA
    Posts
    4,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3034
    Likes (Received)
    2246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Ya. Always thought that was super logical.

    Our HSMWorks post just looks at how the tool is defined (metric/inch) and outputs I/J based on that.. Never had an issue, but using B00 control, your s2a is probably A00
    Its the same for the older controller as well

  8. Likes rlockwood liked this post
  9. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Gilroy CA
    Posts
    4,232
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3034
    Likes (Received)
    2246

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    A00 control yes. I am still pretty green with this but in CAMworks one of the first things you do is to select the inch or metric tech database. I work mostly in inch so selected the inch. After that it seems to internally work completely in inches. Even metric taps defined in the tool crib are specified with inch pitches and inch diameters. I think i said it wrong above I think the feed would be J50.8 (50.8 threads per inch for an m3x0.5 tap). I assume the G77 will work with such a pitch. I will try it by hand to see. Then try to modify the post.
    J50.8 will work just fine

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    89

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Deal View Post
    I just bought Solidworks 2018 and it includes CAMworks. My intent is to use it with my Brother TC-S2A. I have been incrementally working on getting a post working. Is anybody here using CAMworks with a brother and got a post for it?
    I've been using Camworks (full version) for 11 years, and am pretty decent at writing posts. I don't have a Brother post, but probably can help you as far as answering questions if you're writing your own. I'll be off until Jan 2, though.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    252
    Likes (Received)
    319

    Default

    dstryr: Thanks!

    Rainman: I will be tinkering with this. My head is swimming. If I can't get unstuck I will check in with you.

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    san diego
    Posts
    535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    572
    Likes (Received)
    339

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rlockwood View Post
    Ya. Always thought that was super logical.

    Our HSMWorks post just looks at how the tool is defined (metric/inch) and outputs I/J based on that.. Never had an issue, but using B00 control, your s2a is probably A00
    Actually they are all C00. Speedio 450, 500, 700.

    BrotherFrank and I talk about what been there in the past controls. I always have lots of questions, he always has or gets the answer.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Near Seattle, WA
    Posts
    1,016
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    257
    Likes (Received)
    818

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
    Actually they are all C00. Speedio 450, 500, 700.

    BrotherFrank and I talk about what been there in the past controls. I always have lots of questions, he always has or gets the answer.
    I meant the OP's control, but envious of all the C's :O

  14. Likes Pete Deal liked this post
  15. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    252
    Likes (Received)
    319

    Default

    Rainman the genious of CAMworks post processing PM'd me the code and I now have a mostly working Brother A00 post for CAMworks/SW CAM. I say mostly because I know I still have tweaking to do but this gets, i hope, the worst of it. Thanks Rainman!

  16. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    343
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    89

    Default

    No problem Pete. No genius here. Just have been working with it for a number of years, with much weeping and gnashing of teeth along the way.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •