What's new
What's new

Can I have your solid models?

BRIAN.T

Cast Iron
We are a bit slow at work and I'm looking for some complex 5 axis parts I can make for fun. Anybody have anything they're willing to share with me? I'm more into actual parts as opposed to trade show pieces. Let me know if you're willing to share. 500mm table btw.

Thanks, I'm familiar with both, and have looked at hundreds of models on each. Nothing seems to be that good. I'll keep looking. Thanks

??? There's literally 1000's of different impellers and jet engine fans on grabcad. How much more of a complex 5x part are you looking for.

We are a bit slow at work and I'm looking for some complex 5 axis parts I can make for fun. Anybody have anything they're willing to share with me? I'm more into actual parts as opposed to trade show pieces. Let me know if you're willing to share. 500mm table btw.

Why not just design something?

Do you think I am going to give you something I designed myself so you can copy it??

Umm, no. :wrong:

I do not. I was thinking somebody might want to help a fellow machinist by giving me a cool, obsolete part to play around with, or perhaps a weird part they practiced with. Ide be willing to bet somebody helped you at some point during your career. No need to tell me you don't want to be helpful. Thanks.

whatcha running it on and any preference for material ?

Just curious what you would like in a more unusual 5 axis part that you'd consider 'Fun" rather than frustrating as hell lol ;-)

what would your limit on cycle time / complexity be ? + tooling

Just curious what you would like in a more unusual 5 axis part that you'd consider 'Fun" rather than frustrating as hell lol ;-)

I don't think he is actually serious about this. I already asked him what kind of parts he was looking for since impellers and fan blades were not it. He spent the time to make a snarky remark to some other comment but couldn't find the time to respond to my comment asking what he was looking for.

Thanks for the questions and response. Im running a Mikron Mill E500u. and for the purposes of this exercise ill be cutting aluminum. cycle time i dont think i care that much, ill try to mount with lang studs so if i need to work on it over a few weeks i can take it in an out easily. But lets just say less than 8 hours. Ive got 60 pockets available, but again, i could break it up into ops if needed. ill attach photos of a few types of parts that caught my eye. Thanks again.

I don't think he is actually serious about this. I already asked him what kind of parts he was looking for since impellers and fan blades were not it. He spent the time to make a snarky remark to some other comment but couldn't find the time to respond to my comment asking what he was looking for.

No its not like that goose. I appreciated your response and had fully intended on responding, but i figured it was easier to attach photos rather then try to explain what im looking for, which means i needed time to look around for photos. I usually have time sunday night to do things like this (right now). But you are right i did take 2 minutes earlier today to respond to the guy who came to my thread just to be rude to me.

5x2.jpg5x1.jpg

See if you can find files for an 1/8 scale hemi. I’ve seen them built, there’s bound to be someone out there willing to share. Or an in-line 6 cylinder diesel (the injection pump would truly be a challenge)

There are plenty of model engine drawing sets out there, some at very reasonable prices. Ron Colonna sells a very well done bok of drawings for an Offenhauser 270 model engine and Jerry Howell's estate sells plans for many different model engines that he built over the years - something like his V4 might be interesting to program and machine, at least the block.

There's another PM thread here on Ron's engine and here's a link for Jerry's V4:

JEH - "Howell V-Four" - 4-Cycle Gas Engine Page

See if you can find files for an 1/8 scale hemi. I’ve seen them built, there’s bound to be someone out there willing to share. Or an in-line 6 cylinder diesel (the injection pump would truly be a challenge)

These are great ideas. I'll see what I can find.

There are plenty of model engine drawing sets out there, some at very reasonable prices. Ron Colonna sells a very well done bok of drawings for an Offenhauser 270 model engine and Jerry Howell's estate sells plans for many different model engines that he built over the years - something like his V4 might be interesting to program and machine, at least the block.

There's another PM thread here on Ron's engine and here's a link for Jerry's V4:

JEH - "Howell V-Four" - 4-Cycle Gas Engine Page

I hadn't considered buying anything. Only because it hasn't occurred to me that was a market. Obviously that exists, and that great. Ide rather buy something well made then have to mess around with some of the half assed models I've found. Thanks for the tip.

Back