Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BRIAN.T View Post
    I hadn't considered buying anything. Only because it hasn't occurred to me that was a market. Obviously that exists, and that great. Ide rather buy something well made then have to mess around with some of the half assed models I've found. Thanks for the tip.
    When I was learning (paper tape days) "I hadn't considered" asking anyone for anything other than advise after I tried several times myself. I am not saying asking someone else for their homework is wrong, but if you really want to know this trade you should learn it from the concrete to the fan on the roof and ask for help after you have tried it a few times first. Starting at step 4 and having someone else do 1-3 doesn't make you independent. The old grey hairs are going to quit one day for one reason or another.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    When I was learning (paper tape days) "I hadn't considered" asking anyone for anything other than advise after I tried several times myself. I am not saying asking someone else for their homework is wrong, but if you really want to know this trade you should learn it from the concrete to the fan on the roof and ask for help after you have tried it a few times first. Starting at step 4 and having someone else do 1-3 doesn't make you independent. The old grey hairs are going to quit one day for one reason or another.
    I'm a pretty experienced machinist. To say I'm looking to learn the trade would be an overstatement, I was just looking for a wild part, something I've never made before.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Also to that point, what percentage of programmers do you think design their own parts? Certainly a lot do, but the guys making outrageous aerospace parts are not the engineers who designed the parts. I would argue that getting a blueprint and solid model isn't skipping any steps, rather the natural path of production for almost every programmer out there. Wouldn't you agree?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hadn't considered buying anything. Only because it hasn't occurred to me that was a market. Obviously that exists, and that great. Ide rather buy something well made then have to mess around with some of the half assed models I've found. Thanks for the tip.
    Well, both Ron produced a very nice manual for machining the Offy 270 and there is an ongoing build thread here on how a hobbyist is approaching the machining and finishing of the parts. 270 Offy | Home Model Engine Machinist

I think he sells the book of plans and machining tips for around $40. Jerry Howells plans are around $10-20 I think and are very well done, at least to my amateur mind.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Jersey
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Also to that point, what percentage of programmers do you think design their own parts? Certainly a lot do, but the guys making outrageous aerospace parts are not the engineers who designed the parts. I would argue that getting a blueprint and solid model isn't skipping any steps, rather the natural path of production for almost every programmer out there. Wouldn't you agree?
    All of our turbine blades, shrouds, injector nozzles, etc are designed by the company the wants them cast, ie rolls, pratt, ge, etc. Our designers model the molds to make the wax patterns, the engineers design some of the tooling and make changes to molds like gate changes and stuff, and our tooling designer in the tool room does the rest.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a simple little piece I designed for a 5 axis school project that can be adapted to bolt direct on to what ever table you have. If you'd want to do it just PM me a email address and I'll send over the model. img_4894.jpg

7. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can I have your 5-axis machine?