What's new
What's new

Can you use Fusion 360 CAM on a Prototrak CNC Mill or Lathe?

Cismontguy

Aluminum
Hello Forum,

I am wondering whether you can use Fusion 360 generated G-code on a ProtoTrak CNC Mill or Lathe.
I went to the ProtoTrak web site could not not easily find any idea as to whether there is a
way to load G-code or is it all conversational?

Thank you,

Cismontguy

Speak to Joseph in tech support, he can answer you questions.Depending on year model , it will most likely take a Fanuc 6T or 6M post to run code.

Hello Forum,

I am wondering whether you can use Fusion 360 generated G-code on a ProtoTrak CNC Mill or Lathe.
I went to the ProtoTrak web site could not not easily find any idea as to whether there is a
way to load G-code or is it all conversational?

Thank you,

Cismontguy

Yes you can, do it almost daily here. Depending on what control your Trak machine has determines what post to use. I have one post for my AGE3 machine, another one for same but written for the add on DNC function, and a third that puts out code for my KMX machine that uses .GCD file extensions. Any control after the AGE3 can read and execute full 3 axis G-code files. AGE3 and earlier can read G-code but only run in 2 1/2 axis and file size is limited. You need a special no longer available dongle for full 3 axis movement and unlimited file length with that and earlier controls.

You can still find the DNC key but not through Southwest Industries. I bought one about 2 months ago from Marco Muralles (401-952-4022). I can now run full 3 axis on our 2001 Trak QuikCell, just had to change the post processor in Fusion to output DNC files. It seems to be working with no problems. I believe Marco said he had several DNC keys available.

Thanks for the reply and helpful information. I hope others will find it useful too. Unfortunately
for me, I think this project has gone to someone else as I have not heard back from the company that
I was trying to work with. Cismontguy.

You can still find the DNC key but not through Southwest Industries. I bought one about 2 months ago from Marco Muralles (401-952-4022). I can now run full 3 axis on our 2001 Trak QuikCell, just had to change the post processor in Fusion to output DNC files. It seems to be working with no problems. I believe Marco said he had several DNC keys available.

An old post, but I was wondering if you could tell me more about your quick cell. I have the exact same setup now with DNC and was wondering which post processor you use.

An old post, but I was wondering if you could tell me more about your quick cell. I have the exact same setup now with DNC and was wondering which post processor you use.

Sorry, I didn't see your post until now.
I'm using the Proto TRAK GCD post processor. I modified it to output as a .DNC extension rather than GCD.
Let me know if you have any other questions. I'm far from an expert but will help if I can.

Question about prototrak lathes. I'm working on a RLX and importing .CAM files. Every time I load a new program (or an adjusted one) I have to reassign the tools (tool 1 is offset 162 fe). Is there a way to automate this? I can make the Fusion post generate tool codes.

Back