Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Can't choose a hole in a part to Mill

I tried making a hole in a piece by drawing a rectangle for the pace in a square inside and then extruding the piece. When I went into can it would not let me choose the whole as a pocket to Mill out. I had to extrude the hole 1 thousands of an inch so I could at least mill something but obviously no I don't have a hole all the way through the part. I'm doing something wrong here. Thank you for your help20190929_105804_hdr.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

could be alot of things.

you could do a screencast of what you are doing and put it up so we can see what your steps are or you can put the Fusion file up and we can see it that way.

with out any of that we would just be guessing.

have you done any of the tutorials for CAM?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by len_1962 View Post
    could be alot of things.

you could do a screencast of what you are doing and put it up so we can see what your steps are or you can put the Fusion file up and we can see it that way.

with out any of that we would just be guessing.

have you done any of the tutorials for CAM?
    20190929_105804_hdr.jpg

I have a hole in the slide of my gun. Now that I have a mill I wanted to fix the hole as the guy that put it in there didn't do a very good job. I noticed that it was not even. I edited the Fusion Design to mill it about 1 m m off center. Which came out to be pretty well Center on the gun.

But then I ask a guy what I did wrong and he told me to cut a 1-inch Square and measure it. He told me to do a spring pass. Of course after I do that he just says my settings are wrong and that's the end of the conversation. Leaving me in the dark.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Put the file up here and let us take a look at your settings.

but I'm guessing your new to CAM?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes brand new. Hoping to take a class this winter. I'll try to get the file posted when I get my laptop running

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

PM members, please see this thread for the real issue (the machine).

"g*****y mini Mill with a CNC kit"

1" pocket measures 9.7"

Birddseedd, Please don't think us rude but your accuracy issue is a home shop problem and we are limited by site rules. General machining questions? By all means but we can't devote much time to teaching amateurs the basics, again per site rules. There are plenty of hobbyist sites with some clever members and I think you will gain the help you seek. Good luck.

7. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scottl View Post

Birddseedd, Please don't think us rude but
    Yes that's exactly it. And in fact this has been the case with literally every single machinist I have ever met in my entire life. I'm starting to think it's a required personality trait for the industry. I guess there's a reason they say machinists have no tolerance. And here we are yet again, the machinist that just doesn't want to help someone who doesn't already know how to do it. I asked a question about Fusion and all you want to do is ridicule machine brand names. I get it. I dont like Toyota trucks. But for you to discourage others from helping me shows incredible lack of character on your part. Don't worry I'm sure this form has a block function

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Birddseedd View Post
    Yes that's exactly it. And in fact this has been the case with literally every single machinist I have ever met in my entire life. I'm starting to think it's a required personality trait for the industry. I guess there's a reason they say machinists have no tolerance. And here we are yet again, the machinist that just doesn't want to help someone who doesn't already know how to do it. I asked a question about Fusion and all you want to do is ridicule machine brand names. I get it. I dont like Toyota trucks. But for you to discourage others from helping me shows incredible lack of character on your part. Don't worry I'm sure this form has a block function
    It also has a ban function along with a thread lock function, which you are likely tempting the moderator to decide which one to use.

Here are the rules as determined by the site OWNER. His domain, his rules.

Machinery Discussion Guidelines

"The discouragement of HSM grade Asian machine discussion is partially because they have all ready been discussed to death here, and partically because they are not used (or at shouldn't be) in any manufacturing/job shop envirnoments."

Many people have posted on PM contrary to the rules over the years. Some say "oh, sorry, didn't realize" and stay to enjoy the benefits of the vast range of knowledge. Others get pissy and either leave after having their threads locked or get kicked out ie banned. You are at a critical juncture. Choose wisely.

10. Likes digger doug liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes that's exactly it. And in fact this has been the case with literally every single machinist I have ever met in my entire life. I'm starting to think it's a required personality trait for the industry. I guess there's a reason they say machinists have no tolerance. And here we are yet again, the machinist that just doesn't want to help someone who doesn't already know how to do it.
    That's simply not true.
    You've been told multiple times that there is/are hobby forms who can and will be able to help you.
    There are thousands if not tens of thousands of threads here where people ask for help and get it, myself included.
    This site isn't a hobby site, and your issues are hobby related. Now whether you choose to accept that or not is up to you.

12. Likes digger doug, Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Put the file up here and let us take a look at your settings.

but I'm guessing your new to CAM?
    thank you. I have attached my design. its just a rectangle inside another rectangle. I extruded the outer rectangle (leaving it with a "hole"). Unless I extrude the inner one, I don't seem to be able to select it in order to pocket it out. which of course leaves it as a recess in the stock instead of a hole.

thanks again.1 iin cut v1.zip

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

mill a square hole? This sounds like a job for the Bridgeport.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well. A hole with round corners. Atm I'm just trying to find out what I have to click on just choose the hole as my pocket to Mill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you need to save out your native fusion file not an iges.

the f3d format will have you CAM stuff in it too

export-fusion-file-f3d.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok. Ill get that one. The word archive threw me off

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

you need to save out your native fusion file not an iges.

the f3d format will have you CAM stuff in it too

export-fusion-file-f3d.jpg
    1 iin cut (v1~recovered).zip

attached file

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not so sure that's a good way to win over the support and help of others. You've been told by many members that you are at the wrong site. Imagine going to college and taking a math class such as differential equations and then asking to be taught your times tables......there are likely to be some interesting comments. We all have to start somewhere but most of us work our way up. Every single question you've asked could be answered without posting anywhere and just a few simple google searches. It's all very basic stuff that has been done countless times and discussed to death. Have you even read the instructions to Mach3? Years ago I built a plasma table from scratch using Mach3, I had zero experience with it and didn't ask a single question because I read the available data, instructions and searched the questions I did have. There are forums out there with people just waiting to answer questions like you have. If you don't know what a leadscrew or ballscrew is then you are likely putting the cart in front of the horse. CNC machines are great but as you are quickly learning you don't just imagine a part and out it pops. There is a reason people spend a lifetime mastering the trade. Get a manual machine and learn the basics and maybe play with a 3d printer to hone your CAD skills.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not sure what you need.

there is a toolpath-2D Pocket.

???????????????????????????????

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

not sure what you need.

there is a toolpath-2D Pocket.

???????????????????????????????
    If the 1 thou is removed from the pocket (making the hole pass all the way through) then i cant chose the pocket for my tool path

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

.001 where? sides or bottom?

are you also talking .001 from the solid or .001 from machining?

please explain better

like the part needs: a square hole thru it and I want to be able to machine it with a 2D pocket......???????

Always model the finished part, then there is no confusion.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

.001 where? sides or bottom?

are you also talking .001 from the solid or .001 from machining?

please explain better

like the part needs: a square hole thru it and I want to be able to machine it with a 2D pocket......???????

Always model the finished part, then there is no confusion.
    1 iin cut v1 (2).zip

I edited the file to make the hole go all the way though.

the design is a rectangle with a square inside it. the rectangle extrude to thickness and the square being juts a hole. that square is what i'm trying to get a tool path to cut.

thank you