Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is as simple as it gets. Is there not a YouTube video you could watch?

2. Likes Hardplates liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Booze Daily View Post
    This is as simple as it gets. Is there not a YouTube video you could watch?
    it was a YouTube video that taught me how to cut a pocket. But it wasn't a cut completely through. And I just can't find what to click on in order to cut this pocket all the way through. Even when I find something that will let me click on to choose, it doesn't create a tool path

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not familiar with 360, but if it's like Inventor then it won't let you select it because it's not a pocket, you need do a contour. Go to 2d contour and select the top edge of your feature and make sure the red arrow is on the inside. That should get you started.

Also if you aren't used to being around crusty old tool makers or machinists it can be a different experience, they are a wealth of knowledge, but you do have to prove yourself and be humble.

5. Likes Scottl liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lastrada View Post
    I'm not familiar with 360, but if it's like Inventor then it won't let you select it because it's not a pocket, you need do a contour. Go to 2d contour and select the top edge of your feature and make sure the red arrow is on the inside. That should get you started.

Also if you aren't used to being around crusty old tool makers or machinists it can be a different experience, they are a wealth of knowledge, but you do have to prove yourself and be humble.
    Thank you. That seems to have done it. What settings are the important ones to look at if its taking too much material?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Birddseedd View Post
    Thank you. That seems to have done it. What settings are the important ones to look at if its taking too much material?
    Radial and Axial depth of cut.
    Radial is side load, Axial is how deep...

On your machine, .005" is probably about the max for both.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TeachMePlease View Post
    Radial and Axial depth of cut.
    Radial is side load, Axial is how deep...

On your machine, .005" is probably about the max for both.
    I cannot wait to get home and check those settings. Thank you very much

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok finally had a chance to play with it.

you can use 2D pocket with an open hole, you just have to select the bottom edge and it selects the chain, make sure arrow points to inside, set bottom to stock bottom and if you want it to go thru a little put a number in the box below.

fusion1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And I just can't find what to click on in order to cut this pocket all the way through. Even when I find something that will let me click on to choose, it doesn't create a tool path
    Have you tried reading the fucking manual or instructions for your software? This is basic stuff that you're asking.

11. Likes Hardplates, Billetgrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All settings are important. For you step over and depth of cut are. Also the heights setting. If you want it to go through select the bottom of the hole and then subtract a value to drop it below that. Watch nextgen can videos on YouTube they are for hsm works but will work for fusion.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    Have you tried reading the fucking manual or instructions for your software? This is basic stuff that you're asking.
    There is a lot to learn with Fusion 360. I was hoping to take a college course on it

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I do the Adaptive pocket I seem to get the results that you told me I should get. If you don't mind I'd like to ask another question. When I do a 2d Contour it will go to the proper depth and then do one more Circle gouging and deep. This is when I'm not going all the way through the stock. I'm not sure what setting I have that is making it dig deep in the last pass20191005_193715.jpg

Thank you. I finally feel like I am making some progress

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Birddseedd,

Just play with the settings -- each CAM program has its good points, bad points, and quirks. For the most part, simulation in Fusion 360 is very accurate for me. If the end mill is gouging your part on the final pass, then it's probably gouging in the simulation and you should be able to see it there. If it's not gouging in simulation, then it's possible that the "stock" was not defined correctly. Just experiment.

You mentioned that you're brand new to this program -- heck, I've been using it for over 3 years, and I still discover quirks, tricks, and things I didn't know. There is no "silver bullet" to learning CAM. Many many hours of experimenting (both on the computer and in the machine) are what everyone goes through to get consistent, reliable and accurate results with any CAM program.

PM

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by precisionmetal View Post
    Birddseedd,

Just play with the settings -- each CAM program has its good points, bad points, and quirks. For the most part, simulation in Fusion 360 is very accurate for me. If the end mill is gouging your part on the final pass, then it's probably gouging in the simulation and you should be able to see it there. If it's not gouging in simulation, then it's possible that the "stock" was not defined correctly. Just experiment.

You mentioned that you're brand new to this program -- heck, I've been using it for over 3 years, and I still discover quirks, tricks, and things I didn't know. There is no "silver bullet" to learning CAM. Many many hours of experimenting (both on the computer and in the machine) are what everyone goes through to get consistent, reliable and accurate results with any CAM program.

PM
    Hopefully I will have time this winter. But I also have a robot that I need to get programmed before the spring. But I might actually need this machine to build my robot. Either way I am looking for a kit to upgrade this to ball screws and I have played with the backlash setting a bit. I believe I can get this machine two work well for my needs. I'm mostly going to be doing aluminum anyway. I know this isn't $100,000 machine. But the bottleneck here is my knowledge not the machine. So like you said, I need time to learn