What's new
What's new

Catia machining- surface raughnes

Nero81

Plastic
When machining rounded parts in catia, surface is not round but small lines, and raughness is terrible no matter what i change in options.
Imgur: The magic of the Internet
This is made with endmill d10 with r1 radius, and tolerance is 0.01mm. Operation is Z level.
Any solution?

Dont have any. Not doing this kind od stuff on cam beacuse of this problem. Same surface that is on graphic is on part.

Have you made similar parts in CATIA that did have the smoothness you are looking for? If so, go review how you processed and tooled those parts.

If not, then I'd guess (only a guess, I don't know CATIA) that it's a setting somewhere, a tool definition that's off, or a flaw in the model that's driving the errors.

No. Part is exact like graphic simulation. Tried to change helical interpolation options but nothing i do change roughnes.

Can't tell what radius that curve is supposed to be but try increasing the tolerance to .001mm.

Hi Nero81:

First off, I'm *not* a Catia user, so take this with a grain of salt as they say....but if your simulation accurately depicts the surface finish of your part, my first guess is that one of your computation tolerances needs to be tightened up. In your operation settings can you see any values that control the angular or chordal deviation tolerance? Most systems will allow the user to manipulate these settings (often independently from each other) on an operation by operation basis.

My next best guess is that there *might* be a tolerance for arc-fitting that needs to be tightened up; do you know if you are performing arc fitting for this operation? And if so, is this calculated inside the operation, or perhaps by the post processor? You may be very accurately calculating your CL file, but if the PP is arc fitting to a looser tolerance you *might* see something like this.

After that I'm out of ideas, I'm afraid!

Cheers, Brian

Tolerance is set to max. This happens on every rounded part. Like catia doesent reckognise circular mouvement and instead it makes small lines. With shitty surface

Tolerance is set to max. This happens on every rounded part. Like catia doesent reckognise circular mouvement and instead it makes small lines. With shitty surface

I thought Catia was a very high-end package (someone correct me if I am wrong). I doubt it doesn't 'recognize' that surface. I am like the others who have responded as I don't know Catia, but I am pretty sure it would make a better surface than that. Have you tried changing the toolpath, analyze the model faces/surfaces, tolerances/smoothing, etc. Sorry I can't really help other than "broad strokes". :o

I tried everything in my knowledge. Was hoping that someone who use catia would tell me exact what options to change. At first i thought that machine is to blame but after tried at second machine it got me that catia is problem.

In the 'Machining' tab, your machining tolerance isn't small enough. .01mm isn't fine enough for finishing anything with contours. You can enter any number you want in the box, type in .001mm. Also on the 'Output' tab, maybe check Circular Interpolation, this might help regardless of tolerance, I'm not sure.

I don't know Catia, but this has to be related to a filter setting or whatever Catia calls it.
Is there something that tells the software to output arcs instead of lines in 3D mode?
A smoothing option of sorts.

I changed tolerance to 0.001 and surface finish is better but rounded corner is still made with lines instead of circular mouvements.

convert to radius was the old catia command, like old. Or something similar, it has been a long time and those brain cells are on union break.
Catia used a g1 algorithm back then, I have not played with new versions, likely has g1-g4 now, play with each. Try going extreme opposite in tolerance, go for 1 or 2 millimeters. It keeps the position of nodes and edges with error in the chord between them as tolerance, until g3 and g4 which is to much for what you are trying to achieve.
Better yet, open the model, likely not just the corner but chamfers are faceted if you look at them in front view, delete the features and chamfer in catia. Looks like a stl file was the master file, acad surface, or google sketch fckup.
Steel Solutions (cam for steel) calls it 'node reduction' but does not have the control, power, or editing ease of cad model edits.

Dont have any. Not doing this kind od stuff on cam beacuse of this problem. Same surface that is on graphic is on part.

Dont have picture of real part but there is picture of graphic which have same surface as on real part. Can someone do simulation on similar part with z-level operation and post picture?

Back