CNC Router Software
Close
Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default CNC Router Software

I am looking for suggestions on some new CAM software for our wood routers. We currently use Alphacam, which is fine but can be a bit clunky at times. It needs to be powerful nesting software. Most programs are made off of 2D drawings, but being able to work with Solidworks would be beneficial. This is not some BS X-Carve router. We turn out close to $600Mil/yea. I'm after something that can possibly integrate with ERP software and bring work orders in based on color, quantity, date, etc.

If anyone knows of any advanced software like this, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks

~RPM

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cabinet Vision from Hexagon

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know Mastercam has a Router package, but I know absolutely nothing about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    I know Mastercam has a Router package, but I know absolutely nothing about it.
    It's pretty good. Nesting and the like is all there so is onion skining. Sigma nest seems good too. If nesting is not necessary then almost any cam system should be fine.

Country
    PHILIPPINES
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are knocking down $600 mil a year with a router and want to change things????? Um, ok

I've used Solidworks with nesting works and Powermill for routers with no problem. I'm not sure about the integration but cranking out that much money you should have no problem getting a custom ERP made to work with the software.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by g-coder05 View Post
    You are knocking down $600 mil a year with a router and want to change things????? Um, ok

I've used Solidworks with nesting works and Powermill for routers with no problem.
    Sandy used to explain how programs for wood routing had to be different than metal ... since he mentioned Alphacam, that came to mind.

On your point number one, agreed. Don't mess with something that works

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So far I don't think any mid range cad cam application will integrate with ERP that way you've mentioned but I may be wrong. Higher tier like NX can access api functions via C and Vb and I know there is bidirectional control with external applications and perhaps the others like Creo or Catia. You can assign attributes to various modeling aspects which may be what you're looking for. Aside from assigning model attributes on dumb models from customers for feature based machining I haven't had the need for deeper functionality as you described.

If no other NX people chime in here and you want to delve deeper into how NX can do it you might try posting in the NX forum at the Eng-Tips.com site.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Efficient nesting and interfacing with ERP systems is pretty much what the TruNest program that Autodesk bought a few years back did, it is mostly used in large scale fabrication, not small shops because integration is quite involved. I'm not sure about using a router though, I think it was geared more towards plasma, laser, water jet fabrication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I use VusualCAD/CAM for my router. Parts are done in Solidwords. VCC does nesting and CAM. That said, to do nesting well - you have to learn the program. I would not describe the nesting as powerful. They will give you a free demo of flattening a Solidworks Assembly, Nesting and CAM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MasterCAM has a serious API which could probably be integrated with anything and be optimized for routing to make ERP to CAM pretty swift. I visited Vorum industries recently, who sells software and machines to shape foam mostly for wheelchair seats and prosthetics. The MasterCAM integration is with their 3D scanning and outputting to their foam cutting machinery is amazing. It's a totally different application but sold me on the notion that there's a whole lot of power in MasterCAM people don't (can't without advanced skills!) take advantage of.