What's new
What's new

Compound Radii

mpuvdd

Plastic
Hey everyone,

I hope to make my question into a quick and simple lesson for everyone using this forum.

I have two blocks that need radii machined into their edges. How would you go about programming the CAM to machine such radii? I'm using Mastercam 2017 but feel free to chime in regarding other softwares.

My first guess (limited machining/CAM experience) would be to use a bull/ball end mill to machine such features, using a hybrid 3d approach. Is there a simpler way to do this (e.g. countour function)?

Thanks,

Seth

Attachments

• 2DRadius.jpg
    2DRadius.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 239
  • 3DRadius.jpg
    3DRadius.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 215
  • Block.jpg
    Block.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 226
I'd program those with a 3D toolpath. If the quantity was great enough (depends on part cost, turnaround time, speed of 3D surfacing, etc) I'd buy a corner rounding end mill (Harvey Tool or AB Tools for a custom cutter). The first pic showing the two radii converging into a tight corner is gonna require a small transition radii in the corner.

Chamfering might be a better option than corner rounding. You can drag a chamfer tool up along the diagonal line in the corner intersection and make a pretty sharp corner quick like, and quick is cheap and quick can be better.

The quickest way to program is with Surface Finish Scallop and a ball endmill. If you want to minimize cycle time use a corner rounder where you can and pick out the leftover with a ball. You'll never get all the way into the sharp inside corners.

I believe the "simple lesson" is: don't design parts that can't be machined (or practically or realistically machined).

:)
PM

I believe the "simple lesson" is: don't design parts that can't be machined (or practically or realistically machined).

:)
PM

Not to mention receiving a part model from the customer which is finished and does not require any further modeling. A finished model is always better for quoting. Work on the customer's part model should always be an up-charge.

You can't have a radius transition into a sharp corner. I am not saying it is impossible but you will have to contour the corner with a dead sharp tool and then polish the corner to get the steps out.

Back