Login to Your Account
Likes Likes:  0
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Computer specs for cad/cam

I am thinking of adding some limited cnc capability to my small farm workshop. I figgered the first step was to learn how to operate the software(no use having a machine that I can't operate) after downloading a cad program I found it wouldn't work on my 10 year old computer. So I made some enquiries at a couple of computer retailers and one place told me that a $400 laptop would do everything I need and the next said nothing less than this $6500 one would run cad cam. I left thinking the first didn't know what he was talking about and the second taught I had sucker written on my forehead. I haven't had much to do with computers in the last 10 or so years I have realised that I am so far out of date I don't know what is required. I would be most grateful if someone could point me in the right direction as far as specifications for a computer capable of running cad cam programs stabily.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A "mid-level" business class notebook or desktop with a discrete graphics card will be enough for most low-end CAD/CAM work. Something around a $1K notebook or $700 desktop will work, but a lot depends on the software you want to use or how big a display resolution you want.

If you need to save money look for a used Dell Precision system, you can get a very powerful computer fairly cheap with some careful shopping.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    If you need to save money look for a used Dell Precision system, you can get a very powerful computer fairly cheap with some careful shopping.
    I loved the keyboard on my two precisions that met shop life with a thud. switched to the hp elite w -which oil/energy people recommended- a little slower, but lives at machines and on welding tables and backpack. The Precision is a really nice desktop replacement cad machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by memphisjed View Post
    I loved the keyboard on my two precisions that met shop life with a thud. switched to the hp elite w -which oil/energy people recommended- a little slower, but lives at machines and on welding tables and backpack. The Precision is a really nice desktop replacement cad machine.
    Yeah, I'm writing from my old M6700, which is getting up there. Had a M6300 before it, will likely get one of the 7000 series when the need arises. I don't use it next to the machines (sneakernet) so I'll trade speed for robustness.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

- Buy this:
    Lenovo ThinkPad P50 i7 6820HQ 2.7GHz 16GB 512GB SSD 2GB M1000M 4K 3820 x 2160 | eBay

- Put Fusion 360 on it.

- Watch some YouTube tutorials.

- Be making parts in a few hours.