What's new
What's new

conversational Programmming

Steel Butcher

Plastic
Hey guys my employer finally bought me a new lathe. It's a DMG mori 2500/700. I'm curious if it has a conversational control or will I need a Lathe seat for my cam system.

That depends on which control they put on it, and what control options. Also, you may find that the conversational isn't adequate and you need a CAM seat anyway.

conversational programming

Thanks for replying.
I believe it has the mitsubishi control with the mapps v and celos on it's got the s and y axis on it.
That is why I was wondering. a lot of times you pay 2.5k for a seat and half the time you still have to tweak it in.
Id appreciate any feedback you can offer.

My DMU-60 has a heidenhain-iTNC530 - it has a "conversational" mode, but the regular ".h" language (semantics like g-code) is so easy to use that I either use that (with the multi-line MDI, very handy) or use CAM (download very quick over ethernet.)

My other DMG machine is a CTX with siemans, where conversational is the only thing I've ever got to work - and it has worked well enough, really need to get CAM sorted out for that though.

I've never used or even played with a MAPS, all I've seen of Celos is a fancy user interface overlay.

All of those words probably don't tell you anything you didn't already know - they might give you a complete manual set on .pdf or the like, and reading that might help you to decide whether to buy a CAM seat or not. My attempts to predict that in the past have been very unsuccessful.

Sorry.

Yes it will have some pretty good conversational programing for simple turning and milling operations. The output of the conversational is G-code so you can use that to help build a post. I would definitely get dmg mori to do a few days of training on programing at the machine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I have never have been a fan of conversational programming at the machine. Does depend on the type work you do though. I've seen it be successful at a company that had a spare parts division that made pump repair parts for pumps they made up to decades ago. There was not enough programming to justify a programmer and the order volume was not so much that the machine had to have the chuck turning 8 hrs a day. One guy would plan, program, set up, and run whatever had been ordered be it a gland, wear ring, shaft, impeller, etc.

For most shops though it just seemed like it created too much idle spindle time while the programming was being done. Lathe makes it best money making chips, not code. Have the programming done off-line. Get the post for the CAM software dialed so you are not having to tweak code at the machine and make parts.

Conversational Programming

I've been using conversational programming for 20+ years, mainly through mazatrol which is by far one of the best
I've ever found and you can still write programs while the spindles turning just like a back round editor. So you really don't have dead time. Now I'm not sure about this new machine it will be interesting to find out. Truth is I'm getting excited to find out, it should be here next week I believe,
so I guess I'll find out pretty soon.

I've never seen a conversational programming setup that is anywhere near as efficient as having a laptop running real CAM software sitting next to the machine. Back in the day? When workstations were a 5 figure investment, and CAD/CAM software cost even more than that? Yea, conversational controls for taking the simple job work off the hands of an expensive programmer made sense.

Now? You can get a ThinkPad with workstation graphics for $800, and a seat of Fusion for $99 a year. Folks on here will grumble that Fusion is a toy, and that is a separate debate - for going up against the convoluted, stuck in 1984 computing, really horrible UX that is any conversational control available today, Fusion on a cheap laptop will whip it's ass doing the kind of quick one-off jobs that conversational controls were designed for.

Celos is Heidenhein not Mits.

MAPPS is not anywhere near as well thought out as Mazatrol.

I been doing some Turning for a few days now, on a few different machines, makers, configurations and qualities. In all those years I have seen 1 I repeat 1 Turning post that required no hand editing. So to all thems that say CAM CAM CAM, show me.

In all those years I have seen 1 I repeat 1 Turning post that required no hand editing. So to all thems that say CAM CAM CAM, show me.

A correct post can be made for most any system. It's just a matter of doing. I don't edit anything on the output from my lathe and mill/turn posts.

Back