What's new
What's new

Could we start a "Code Sharing" or "Coding Discussion" forum page?

reidhardy

Plastic
Could we start a "Code Sharing" or "Coding Discussion" forum page?

Would anyone be interested in a "Code Sharing" forum page for us to upload G-code tools that we've created?
For regular computer programming there are massive communities that people can go on and find pre-coded tools and such to use for free.
PM already has awesome categories for specific hardware and Cad/Cam programs but nothing specifically for the coding side.
I love making macros G-codes tools in my free time that can be pasted into code to do specific things. I would love to have a good place on Practical Machinist to upload these codes for people to use for free. Here is an example of a program I wrote that will mill a piece of stock to any size. (This one isn't super useful, but its fun to watch work)

View attachment MILL STOCK TO DIMENSION.txt

I've got thread milling programs, probing programs that adjust cutter comp for critical dimension, all kind of stuff I've made over the years that I would love to make available.

I imagine if enough people were interested, the forum runners would make one. The page would serve as a good place for people inquire about specific code troubleshooting issues. We could also work as a community to build and improve post processors to be available for free.

In the mean time, feel free to use this thread as a place to show off cool/useful codes you've all created. If you would like to see this category happen, then keeping this thread towards the top with active discussion and replies will probably be the best way for it to get noticed.

Would anyone be interested in a "Code Sharing" forum page for us to upload G-code tools that we've created?
For regular computer programming there are massive communities that people can go on and find pre-coded tools and such to use for free.
PM already has awesome categories for specific hardware and Cad/Cam programs but nothing specifically for the coding side.
I love making macros G-codes tools in my free time that can be pasted into code to do specific things. I would love to have a good place on Practical Machinist to upload these codes for people to use for free. Here is an example of a program I wrote that will mill a piece of stock to any size. (This one isn't super useful, but its fun to watch work)

View attachment 297357

I've got thread milling programs, probing programs that adjust cutter comp for critical dimension, all kind of stuff I've made over the years that I would love to make available.

I imagine if enough people were interested, the forum runners would make one. The page would serve as a good place for people inquire about specific code troubleshooting issues. We could also work as a community to build and improve post processors to be available for free.

In the mean time, feel free to use this thread as a place to show off cool/useful codes you've all created. If you would like to see this category happen, then keeping this thread towards the top with active discussion and replies will probably be the best way for it to get noticed.

Go to the cnc-zone.....there they have many sub forums.

We don't need anymore forums.

Your new here, why not just visit those forums that you mentioned having what you want ? Instead of changing the tried & true ?

Go to the cnc-zone.....there they have many sub forums.

We don't need anymore forums.

Your new here, why not just visit those forums that you mentioned having what you want ? Instead of changing the tried & true ?

Howdy Digger Doug!
Awesome to hear from a senior Practical Machinist member!
Reason I bring it up is that I think the Practical Machinist community is better. Generally more knowledgeable and experienced.
Adding an additional forum to Practical Machinist, if anything it will just take dumb traffic like me off of the other pages. I see a lot of g-code stuff pop up in both the CNC page and the Cad/Cam page, so it will just clean up the content of those. G-Code/Coding is the only category that doesn't seem to really have a home here.
The forums I mentioned are specifically for computer programming, they do not have G-code and machine specific coding.
I completely understand the annoyance of a "Plastic" bringing this up. My apologies for coming across as trying to shake up the "tried and true".
My feeling was that if I love a community I would like to contribute to it. Not necessarily by asking to make a whole new forum, but by giving out the tools that I and many other make. There just isn't a great place on Practical Machinist to dump them. Negative feedback on this thread is perfectly fine, just tells me that the community is not interested. An I respect this community.

I don't know how most people browse the site, but unless I am searching for a specific topic I simply click the "Daily Posts" toolbar and read through all the topic titles in order of activity, making sub-forum location irrelevant. I don't understand the constant hoopla about all these new forums we should have. Just post what's on your mind where it generally fits and if people are interested they will find it.

I don't know how most people browse the site, but unless I am searching for a specific topic I simply click the "Daily Posts" toolbar and read through all the topic titles in order of activity, making sub-forum location irrelevant. I don't understand the constant hoopla about all these new forums we should have. Just post what's on your mind where it generally fits and if people are interested they will find it.

I definitely agree! But do keep in mind that user love tearing new ass-holes when someone has posted something to the "wrong" sub-forum. So it ends up being kind of important that you post to the right forum. Unless your prefer getting 15 messages saying "this does not belong here" rather than an actual answer or discussion.

I wouldn't let a couple people with a false sense of authority deter you from making a post. You can scroll past their comment or you can tell them about your rat's ass. Either way it wouldn't concern me much.

If you want to share macros check out the Macro Programming Fundamentals that's "stuck" to the top of the post list in CNC Machining.

As far as post processing and actual computer programming languages, there's very few of us participating here where it seems like it's much more than an afterthought. Better off drawing from and contributing to post processing forums for the specific software you're looking at right then.

If you want to share macros check out the Macro Programming Fundamentals that's "stuck" to the top of the post list in CNC Machining.

As far as post processing and actual computer programming languages, there's very few of us participating here where it seems like it's much more than an afterthought. Better off drawing from and contributing to post processing forums for the specific software you're looking at right then.

Yeh, I watch and read the Macro Fundamental thread, but again it is just about impossible to use or navigate b/c it is not its own subforum. Just a 700+ post long thread started a couple year ago. It is great read for people trying to learn and get into Macro's (which appears to be what it was originally intended for) Seems like there are enough people to have a pretty active subforum on it's own.

Yeh, I watch and read the Macro Fundamental thread, but again it is just about impossible to use or navigate b/c it is not its own subforum. Just a 700+ post long thread started a couple year ago. It is great read for people trying to learn and get into Macro's (which appears to be what it was originally intended for) Seems like there are enough people to have a pretty active subforum on it's own.

Almost twelve years ago. Round down, call it eleven years ago and it equals .1905 posts on that thread per day. I'm not sayin' it wouldn't be of better quality than some of the current subforums, because it undoubtedly would, but I don't think it merits having it's own.

All things considered, macros are probably another topic that's a little hotter on a dedicated CAM forum where programming is truly the focus. There's definitely more chatter about these kinds of things on the eMastercam forum than there is here. Not saying it doesn't have a place here but I think that sometimes, overall, PM can be a little too broad for a certain type of people.

Back