What's new
What's new

Creating non-indexable tools in Mastercam 2019

NeedForFeed

Plastic
Hi guys. I've got a job that requires me to bore out a 5.5mm hole and the only boring bar that I have that is small enough is solid carbide. When I go to create the tool in Mastercam, it automatically assumes that it's an indexable boring bar, and there is no option to have a solid tool (that I know of). I'm assuming that for a solid tool, I'd likely have to draw it, but that's also something that I've never done before, and have no idea where to start, or if that's even my best option. If anyone has experience with this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

You need to draw the tool on a level and then use the geometry in the tool manager to import it.

Im no expert at this myself but I have done it. Id recommend youtube for this one.

It can be on a separate level, or it's own mastercam file, you can import either way.
It has to be TOP view, draw on center line.
Is this for Mastercam Lathe or Mastercam Mill? The rules are different.
I believe for Lathe you need 2 levels of wireframe, with the levels labeled Cut and No Cut, this tells Mastercam what the insert (or in your case the cutting edges) is and what the body is.
The cutting edge has to be at the Origin, not out in space.
That's the gist of it, there are a couple of threads about this on the Mastercam forum and also the Emastercam forum. Maybe even a YouTube video or two.

Hi guys. I've got a job that requires me to bore out a 5.5mm hole and the only boring bar that I have that is small enough is solid carbide. When I go to create the tool in Mastercam, it automatically assumes that it's an indexable boring bar, and there is no option to have a solid tool (that I know of). I'm assuming that for a solid tool, I'd likely have to draw it, but that's also something that I've never done before, and have no idea where to start, or if that's even my best option. If anyone has experience with this, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Why don't you just define it as indexable? It is not that critical. It will save you a lot of headache in the long run.

Thanks in advance.

If you get a tool from Harvey you can download a 'sim' file (dxf or dwg I think) that will be a wireframe of half the tool profile already done for you. Otherwise (assuming a mill tool), you draw half your tool profile, make the centerline a dashed line, not sure if it still needs to be like that on newer versions.

Should end up looking something like this -

ballendmill.JPGbackdeburr.JPGbackplot.JPG

It can be on a separate level, or it's own mastercam file, you can import either way.
It has to be TOP view, draw on center line.
Is this for Mastercam Lathe or Mastercam Mill? The rules are different.
I believe for Lathe you need 2 levels of wireframe, with the levels labeled Cut and No Cut, this tells Mastercam what the insert (or in your case the cutting edges) is and what the body is.
The cutting edge has to be at the Origin, not out in space.
That's the gist of it, there are a couple of threads about this on the Mastercam forum and also the Emastercam forum. Maybe even a YouTube video or two.

Used to be the custom lathe tools were dependant on color too. Insert one color, bar/holder another color. Should be able to find help with the help button in Mastercam.

Back