What's new
What's new

Creo Help - Trying to undercut using a lollipop cutter

Ludasmith

Cast Iron
I'm new to using Creo 3.0 and I'm going crazy over here.

In the square drive of a 1/4" socket there is an undercut for the ball detent that is on a ratchet. I'm trying to cut this using a lollipop cutter (solid model cutter) and a surface milling, although I really don't care how it gets in there other than I can't do a trajectory as the cutter does not match the feature.

When I try to create the path I get a "Tool cannon be placed without gouging surface." Of course, it won't even show me where it's hitting so I can figure out if I could do a lead in change.

Any ideas? Picture is attached.

Attachments

• detents.JPG
    detents.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 244
Looks simple enough just write it out by hand unless it’s some sort of ridiculous point to point surface.

It's just a 2mm radius cut all the way around. I'd like to be able to do it in the software but that's a valid point. Finding there is very little non official help for Creo. Ugh.

you should be able to cut it with a profile cut by selecting the undercut surface. Just add a bit of lead in and lead out to clear the other surfaces when dropping in to the pocket where the undercut is.undercut.jpg

If it was a Heidenhain it would say 'TOOL RADIUS TOO LARGE'

The proper response being 'The fooking tool fooking radius is not too fooking large'

Hand programming I always wanted a 'just fooking do it' button

The truth is what usually happens is either the tool is very close to the diameter of the space you are trying to get into, or the move you are making is very small[when dealing with outside features, I always stayed more than a tool radius away before starting a compensated move]. Also it happens when the tool is not where you think it is, thus crashing through the part to get where it is trying to go.

In your case, I would check all the little settings for that toolpath, lead in type, lead in size[If you have a 1/4 cutter in a .255 space with a .006 lead in you gonna get an error]

material left for finish....there are probably others that would screw you up

or it could be too stupid to recognize a lolipop cutter....

Thanks guys. I ended up defining it as a side milling cutter and it worked. For whatever reason, lollipop wouldn't work and the solid tool wouldn't work. I'm probably just overlooking something simple for those.

Back