What's new
What's new

Cutting a large radius

Greg_Huff

Plastic
Hi I've been programming for 14 years on a KOMO vertical router, I use AutoCad and RouterCim to create programs.
The controller is Fanuc.

The problem I keep running into is some of the parts I make have a large radius that I am told the controller won't handle.
If it's larger than 9999.9999 it won't cut it.

I've been told to try and draw the arch in small line segments, however that doesn't work when I need a smooth arch no matter how small of increments I use.

I'll attach a .png of what I'm trying to describe.

Thanks all for your input and if I've left any info out please let me know.

Greg.

Large Radius.jpg

turn it into a spline and crank up the tolerance to .0001 shouldn't be able to even tell it's not an arc.

Do the short segments or spline and change from G61 to G64 and it will be smooth. You will want it only on the section of the part you want to smooth. Otherwise it will cut corners short. This is what I will do on some of my parts on my Komo.

If you run into this scenario often you might check in your operations for a setting to address it or perhaps in your posts as well. In NX I changed certain posts so that very large and very small radii are always output as small linear segments automatically.

I'm a big fan of customizing workflows as much as possible. :)

control doesn't have scaling does it? write the program as 9999 and run it 2x.....

the total arc is like .047, I think

IF you are drawing it in CAD I would think it would output it anyway you wish, I mean, 2000 line segments is a pretty small difference

Back