What's new
What's new

Demand for MasterCAM skills

Rbpercussion

Aluminum
Several years ago, as I would peruse the local job listings I seemed to see demand for MasterCAM experience somewhat infrequently, but demand nonetheless. Nowadays, I like think I'm seeing demand for masterCAM experience a whole lot less.

I want to survey the forum and get an idea of why this might be if in fact it is true and not just a coincidence.

Some of my guesses would be:
1. it's extremely expensive and somewhat overkill for a lot of shops
2. The isn't really a need for multiple people on the floor to know masterCAM so there is usually one job per shop that requires the experience
3. Free demo software has proliferated and the experience is more widely known so it isn't highlighted in the job postings although it may exist in the shop
4. Other programming methods are becoming more competitive than the traditional and popular CAM brands

What does the demand look like in your area for MasterCAM experience? Do you see it growing or declining? And if it is declining why do you think that is?

CAM software ain't what it used to be. Any small shop can now get into something like Fusion 360 for a pittance. IMO, it's better than MasterCAM for most things.

Larger shops doing more complex work will be using an integrated product like Catia or NX. Or, a specialty software like Hypermill for machining dies.

MasterCAM is in the middle. IMO, they are trading on their name recognition only. They really missed the boat on a true 3D interface. They still really cling to the old school wire frame system. They have tried some integrated solutions for third part CAD programs like Solidworks, but they are not very good. Nowhere near as good as the purpose made plug-ins like HSMworks.

I suspect they will go the way of other CAM products like Gibbs, SmartCAM, etc. They'll throw out an update once in a while to pacify the legacy customers they have locked into maintenance contracts and continue to see their market share dissolve.

CAM software ain't what it used to be. Any small shop can now get into something like Fusion 360 for a pittance. IMO, it's better than MasterCAM for most things.

Larger shops doing more complex work will be using an integrated product like Catia or NX. Or, a specialty software like Hypermill for machining dies.

MasterCAM is in the middle. IMO, they are trading on their name recognition only. They really missed the boat on a true 3D interface. They still really cling to the old school wire frame system. They have tried some integrated solutions for third part CAD programs like Solidworks, but they are not very good. Nowhere near as good as the purpose made plug-ins like HSMworks.

I suspect they will go the way of other CAM products like Gibbs, SmartCAM, etc. They'll throw out an update once in a while to pacify the legacy customers they have locked into maintenance contracts and continue to see their market share dissolve.

that is a damn depressing outlook. So what do you think the value is in learning the software? Is the ability to use masterCAM proficiently a good skill in learning other softwares?

I'd say that there is su h a saturation of people that have picked up that there is less of a drought. The platform is limping for certain, but I don't see the usage decreasing.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Not sure what you mean about Gibbscam. I've been using it for almost 9 years and it's better than it has ever been. The latest version is really nice. I have been using Fusion 360 for some milling projects. I like it also for 3 axis milling.

That's a very bold statement,and I would argue the exact opposite.

I think it's largely a change in how companies go looking for programmers these days. They'll often either contract a headhunter or just search Linked-In rather than posting a job listing anywhere; I get a call or email from a headhunter about once a week on average. There's also a lot of "who you know", which is how I landed my present position; an engineer I'd trained in basic Mastercam and written a post for 15 years previous had need of an advanced programmer so he contacted me.

I think it's largely a change in how companies go looking for programmers these days. They'll often either contract a headhunter or just search Linked-In rather than posting a job listing anywhere; I get a call or email from a headhunter about once a week on average. There's also a lot of "who you know", which is how I landed my present position; an engineer I'd trained in basic Mastercam and written a post for 15 years previous had need of an advanced programmer so he contacted me.

Do you think MasterCAM is still a useful software to learn? I just got back into teaching myself X9 but I'm trying to use 2017 HLE and it's proving to be a nightmare. They also have a 2018 version and are planning to launch a 2019 version as well. I'm starting to think they're profiting more off teaching people a useless software rather than actually selling their program.

i used to use MC in the 90's ....still have MC8 on one of my pc's ,and no it is not MC "X8" it is the one that runs on win2K!

Do you think MasterCAM is still a useful software to learn? I just got back into teaching myself X9 but I'm trying to use 2017 HLE and it's proving to be a nightmare. They also have a 2018 version and are planning to launch a 2019 version as well. I'm starting to think they're profiting more off teaching people a useless software rather than actually selling their program.
I just left a company about a month ago that ships $20+ million in machined parts per year that "still" uses Mastercam. Granted there a lot of people that are newer to machining that don't like how it works, but for those of us who are very familiar it works well and can do most everything the others do - but not all for certain. The multi axis lathe functionality is suffering for sure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mastercam market share has not wavered much in recent years. +- 1 or 2 percent. Fusion is not taking away from mid to high level CAM, Fusion is only knocking out the low end shit. Hop on the Titan band wagon if you want but real shops are still using real software. That software not only does its job better but it also helps attract top talent. Example, if I have 2 equal job offers from 2 shops and one using Fusion and the other uses SolidWork/Mastercam, pretty easy choice.
Could you imagine how hard it would be to get a new 1/2" carbide endmill from the shop owner who cheaps out on software lol

So, in summary, no Mastercam demand is not declining. Its still the best software to pad your resume with if you are a machinist.

Of course there are less job requisitions to know a certain software to program within said company. Hell, it's hard enough to find a competent programmer at all!
MC has some short-comings like all others, but really is good for most that I've asked from it.
If you can model in SW and proficiently program in MasterCam, you can find a good job!
All the "Instagram Machinist" will say that Fusion 360 was sent from Jesus Christ.
Long story short, Yes there is better than MC but it isn't going away anytime soon.

My only experience with MC is that I trialled it some years ago. I recall that I was not impressed, although I forget the reasons. I did not switch to it, at any rate.

It seems generally from past conversations on here that MC has rather more detractors than admirers on this site at least.

It seems to me that MC was never particularly popular this side of the pond, never came across a shop using it. IDK about the rest of Europe. In the US it seems they took the AD route of flooding the educational market with free/heavily subsidised copies to boost adoption, rather than ascend on the merits of their product.

I have to assume that if MC is losing market share it's because there are more attractive options available (I'm not talking about F360 FWIW). Products like Bobcad for example, now that they are moduleworks based, presumably offer everything that MC offers for a small fraction of the cost. Also the widespread adoption of integrated products, which from everything I've read, MC have implemented poorly or missed the boat on.

Several years ago, as I would peruse the local job listings I seemed to see demand for MasterCAM experience somewhat infrequently, but demand nonetheless. Nowadays, I like think I'm seeing demand for masterCAM experience a whole lot less.

I want to survey the forum and get an idea of why this might be if in fact it is true and not just a coincidence.

Some of my guesses would be:
1. it's extremely expensive and somewhat overkill for a lot of shops
2. The isn't really a need for multiple people on the floor to know masterCAM so there is usually one job per shop that requires the experience
3. Free demo software has proliferated and the experience is more widely known so it isn't highlighted in the job postings although it may exist in the shop
4. Other programming methods are becoming more competitive than the traditional and popular CAM brands

What does the demand look like in your area for MasterCAM experience? Do you see it growing or declining? And if it is declining why do you think that is?

i went to night school to learn Mastercam versions V9 and X2 many years ago and i used it some but many places do not require a lot of programming and or they use 99% conversational programming.
plus the fact some places that want a Mastercam programmer you might only make $40,000 or $50,000 a year but other places not requiring much if any programming just being a CNC operator you might easily make over $80,000/yr with the over time
so then you got to ask your self whats the point of taking training and getting a job that pays less ?? just saying i have seen it. whole point most times is getting a job that pays more usually.

Still useful to learn one of the most widely used Cad/Cam softwares? Absolutely!
2017 is when they changed the interface from X9.
I've said this before a million times... the people who don't like Mastercam are usually the ones that don't take the time to set it up how they want it.
Mastercam's downfall is that the out of the box version is bad,the default values for pretty much everything need to be changed by the user or else it's just an "ok" program.

But the people saying that Fusion is better... that's just insanity.:nono:

plus the fact some places that want a Mastercam programmer you might only make $40,000 or $50,000 a year but other places not requiring much if any programming just being a CNC operator you might easily make over $80,000/yr with the over time
so then you got to ask your self whats the point of taking training and getting a job that pays less ?? just saying i have seen it. whole point most times is getting a job that pays more usually.

WTF? What dysfunctional workplace pays their operators more than their programmers???

Operators are those that can't program Or won't put in the time to learn it.

WTF? What dysfunctional workplace pays their operators more than their programmers???

I work at one! Not necessarily operators vs programmers, but the pay scale definitely seems screwy from the way they pay the skilled people vs the people with 'paper' skills... if you get my meaning. :willy_nilly:

basic math
1) one programmer job pays $27./hr but cause little to no overtime typically thats close to $56,000/yr
2) other operator job pays $24./hr AND 150% pay to 200% overtime pay and typically that job working normal overtime levels, you end up over $80,000/yr (i have experienced this so know its possible)
you can say you want to be happy at job but be near bankruptcy or you can take a job you do not hate, maybe not favorite job but with the savings in retirement account you reach a point
1) retire a millionaire (or more that $1,000,000)
2) at 55 years old reach a point if you lost job you have enough to get by never having to worry about no money the rest of your life. you only continue to work so you will be richer when retired not with just enough to get by.
i say better to learn math before you learn Mastercam. not saying learning anything will not help you but i find learning math pays the most
put another way one guy programs with high feeds and speeds but has 2% sudden tool failures so when total time including reworking remaking parts is added up he is not as productive is other guy going slower but with far less "problems" and end of year math says is far more productive. pay can be like that too. you can make less per hour but make far more money by the end of the year

basic math
1) one programmer job pays $27./hr but cause little to no overtime typically thats close to $56,000/yr
2) other operator job pays $24./hr AND 150% pay to 200% overtime pay and typically that job working normal overtime levels, you end up over $80,000/yr (i have experienced this so know its possible)
you can say you want to be happy at job but be near bankruptcy or you can take a job you do not hate, maybe not favorite job but with the savings in retirement account you reach a point
1) retire a millionaire (or more that $1,000,000)
2) at 55 years old reach a point if you lost job you have enough to get by never having to worry about no money the rest of your life. you only continue to work so you will be richer when retired not with just enough to get by.
i say better to learn math before you learn Mastercam. not saying learning anything will not help you but i find learning math pays the most
put another way one guy programs with high feeds and speeds but has 2% sudden tool failures so when total time including reworking remaking parts is added up he is not as productive is other guy going slower but with far less "problems" and end of year math says is far more productive. pay can be like that too. you can make less per hour but make far more money by the end of the year

This sounds like the "logic" that was used on me one time at an interview. "I will pay you less (IIRC about 1$/hr) but work you more hours so you will make the same." With a straight face even!

Back