UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    Automation is the most obvious area.
    Toolpath based programming is also very limited when related to efficiency. Fusion dropped the ball when they went to this method...it is the easiest for beginners to learn, so perhaps that was their reasoning.

This is true for any software, bad input = bad output. If everything is the same, real CAM software will win without question.
    I don't follow? What do you mean "toolpath based programming"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    I would assume he meant "feature based" vs "geometry based" other than that I am lost as to what he was getting at. I again don't agree. It all depends on your work. If you are doing a family of parts with similar features it may work great. I used cam works for making labyrinth seals with feature recognition and the technology database and at times it was great. It also had times it sucked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by csharp View Post
    I would assume he meant "feature based" vs "geometry based" other than that I am lost as to what he was getting at. I again don't agree. It all depends on your work. If you are doing a family of parts with similar features it may work great. I used cam works for making labyrinth seals with feature recognition and the technology database and at times it was great. It also had times it sucked.
    Toolpath based programming is where you make a toolpath and then apply geometry to it, feature based is when you make a feature and apply toolpaths to it.

Feature recognition is an extension of feature based programming. You do not need to use feature recognition for feature based programming.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Connecticut
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    See, its not that we're trying to have a pissing match. It's that you are trying to give advice on something you don't know enough about.

Again I repeat it’s an opinion this all started because I had an opinion. It’s just not in line with yours so I guess I must be wrong.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm happy to see my thread take off, but I'm unhappy to see it's been derailed into almost a bunch of nonsense.

The whole point of this thread was to talk about the current relevance of masterCAM. I'd like to know if it has a place in programming in the future or if there is something else out there that I'm unaware of that is displacing CAM packages.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rbpercussion View Post
    I'm happy to see my thread take off, but I'm unhappy to see it's been derailed into almost a bunch of nonsense.

The whole point of this thread was to talk about the current relevance of masterCAM. I'd like to know if it has a place in programming in the future or if there is something else out there that I'm unaware of that is displacing CAM packages.
    Welcome to Practical Machinist!!

Yes there will always be LOTS of shops using MasterCam

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mastercam has such an established used base and is in so deep with the schools, I don't see the demand diminishing.

I keep having to change it up every year with each new interface and it gets bothersome

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your question was effectively answered on the first page. A thread will naturally either die off or drift off topic after a conclusion has been reached.

To summarize: The only thing displacing cam packages is other cam packages. Mastercam apparently still has a large market share, but it has less inherent value than it did in the past due to competitors encroaching on it's product space. Fusion at the low end, which does a lot of what MC does for a tiny fraction of the cost, numerous others in the mid range that have always been direct competitors, other low-mid range products that are attractive because they are integrated into cad, and traditionally high end products like NX becoming more affordable to the point that they are actually similarly priced to MC while having a LOT more to offer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by solidworkscadman View Post
    I keep having to change it up every year with each new interface and it gets bothersome
    The interface has changed twice in the last 20 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I work at a community college that teaches MC X9 right now. It's as good as any other software.
    My work experience is as a machinist not a programmer. All of the shops I've worked at had a dedicated programmer. The real skill is in the hands of the individual not the software.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my experience with using CAD models is 99% of time they are not at middle of a tolerance and its often not so easy to use CAD model for CAM
    say i want to make a 4.0000 +.0000/-.0005 by 6.0000 +.0005/-.0000 rectangle 1.0000 +.0001/-.0001
    if i use CAD model and its 4x6x1 then i have to do something if i want the machining op to aim for center of tolerance. just saying a lot of CAD is redone or modified to aim for center of [email protected]&T tolerance which most times is on a drawing and info not in or on the CAD model.
    so if guy programs looking at drawings for the GD&T info it often dont matter much if using Mastercam or standing at a CNC doing conversational
    some shops use a CAD CAM package like Pro E or Unigraphics NX they are in and out of CAD and CAM part and dealing with assemblies. Mastercam cannot deal with 1000 part assemblies as easily as say Solidworks
    so often the software shop uses is decided on what CAD software they use and often they have Mastercam working along with their CAD software

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    so if guy programs looking at drawings for the GD&T info it often dont matter much if using Mastercam or standing at a CNC doing conversational
    How can you.................... But if I.................. What about the............................. Wait.......... What?

13. Likes converterking liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    my experience with using CAD models is 99% of time they are not at middle of a tolerance and its often not so easy to use CAD model for CAM
    say i want to make a 4.0000 +.0000/-.0005 by 6.0000 +.0005/-.0000 rectangle 1.0000 +.0001/-.0001
    if i use CAD model and its 4x6x1 then i have to do something if i want the machining op to aim for center of tolerance. just saying a lot of CAD is redone or modified to aim for center of [email protected]&T tolerance which most times is on a drawing and info not in or on the CAD model.
    What does this have to do with Demand for Mastercam skills?

15. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thesidetalker View Post
    What does this have to do with Demand for Mastercam skills?
    It's just more drivel from him. Have you noticed that he never contributes anything of substance to any thread he replies to?

17. Likes Booze Daily liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    It's just more drivel from him. Have you noticed that he never contributes anything of substance to any thread he replies to?
    I have a lot of respect for this forum because I've answered many of my questions with quite authoritative and evidence backed replies. Some people though, post only to up their post count and reach that elusive "diamond status" because they think it means something.

In effect, this post that I'm writing right now is doing the exact same thing albeit unintentionally. It's just always been something that's bothered me and I've never found a more perfect opportunity to voice this than right here.

thanks again for everyone's answer. I'm subscribed to Modern Machine Shop magazine and it seems to me that the entire theme of their magazine is the future and that what you thought was cutting edge just a month ago is now prehistoric. But I suppose they have their agenda in doing so as well in the form of selling advertisements.

19. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have a lot of respect for this forum because I've answered many of my questions with quite authoritative and evidence backed replies. Some people though, post only to up their post count and reach that elusive "diamond status" because they think it means something.

In effect, this post that I'm writing right now is doing the exact same thing albeit unintentionally. It's just always been something that's bothered me and I've never found a more perfect opportunity to voice this than right here.

thanks again for everyone's answer. I'm subscribed to Modern Machine Shop magazine and it seems to me that the entire theme of their magazine is the future and that what you thought was cutting edge just a month ago is now prehistoric. But I suppose they have their agenda in doing so as well in the form of selling advertisements.
    What?

21. Likes Whysosharp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtndew View Post
    The interface has changed twice in the last 20 years.
    Do you use Mastercam.com fourm ?