Demand for MasterCAM skills - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jm0502 View Post
    Personally mastercam is way behind in 3d programming vs something like WorkNC.
    You hear this all the time, Mastercam's way behind this software or that. Most of the time the one posting hasn't ran Mastercam or at least the newest release.
    Mastercam is continuously improving and adding new technology into the software with every new release. The reseller network and the huge volume of training materials leave almost every other software in the dust. I just can't stand uninformed statements about software that they don't even use or don't have the proper training to even form an opinion on the subject. Is it the best or the easiest out there, I can't say, but if you need something that has a large user base and can get code out on the floor in almost no time at all. It is pretty hard to beat it for the money!! It's not the cheapest but it certainly isn't the most expensive either. What you get is a software with a huge user base and years upon years of knowledge and support backing you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rickyt View Post
    You hear this all the time, Mastercam's way behind this software or that. Most of the time the one posting hasn't ran Mastercam or at least the newest release.
    Mastercam is continuously improving and adding new technology into the software with every new release. The reseller network and the huge volume of training materials leave almost every other software in the dust. I just can't stand uninformed statements about software that they don't even use or don't have the proper training to even form an opinion on the subject. Is it the best or the easiest out there, I can't say, but if you need something that has a large user base and can get code out on the floor in almost no time at all. It is pretty hard to beat it for the money!! It's not the cheapest but it certainly isn't the most expensive either. What you get is a software with a huge user base and years upon years of knowledge and support backing you!
    I get your point, but posts like this just read like someone who has only used Mastercam (or whatever other package they might happen to posting about), and don't really know how it compares, only that it is "good", based on a sample set of one.

I'm not claiming that you don't know what you're talking about, only that your argument works both ways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm currently using Topsolid V7.11 and god I wish I could use Mastercam instead! So I am using a very expensive software that isn't Mastercam. I have been using it for 2 years now and at least for me I feel it's very cumbersome and slow at getting code to the shop floor. They also price gouge you to death, and support is slow getting back most times (we pay for gold level services as well). God forbid you have to build a tool library and custom tool profile's are a true test of ones willingness to stay employed. Maybe I'm just used to sitting down at my computer and starting Mastercam and getting work done. I have also used HSMworks before Autodesk bought them and I thought it was very good as well.

So I have had experience with other software's that are out and I still pay my maintenance on Mastercam. Because if I get in a pinch and just need something done fast and with code that I trust I know I can do it with Mastercam.

4. Likes Rstewart, UCRmachine liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm currently using Topsolid V7.11 and god I wish I could use Mastercam instead!
    Why can't you?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm currently using Topsolid V7.11 and god I wish I could use Mastercam instead! So I am using a very expensive software that isn't Mastercam. I have been using it for 2 years now and at least for me I feel it's very cumbersome and slow at getting code to the shop floor. They also price gouge you to death, and support is slow getting back most times (we pay for gold level services as well). God forbid you have to build a tool library and custom tool profile's are a true test of ones willingness to stay employed. Maybe I'm just used to sitting down at my computer and starting Mastercam and getting work done. I have also used HSMworks before Autodesk bought them and I thought it was very good as well.

So I have had experience with other software's that are out and I still pay my maintenance on Mastercam. Because if I get in a pinch and just need something done fast and with code that I trust I know I can do it with Mastercam.

That's funny stuff.
    I feel the same way using NX. In Mastercam it was stupid easy to pick a tool and holder. I'm sure there are ways to make tool assemblies easier in NX, but out of the box Mastercam just has common toolholders available. Period. No farting around, just select your library (cat40, hsk, etc), select the style (collet, solid, etc) select the length and you are done. Sometimes the lengths are slightly off I have found, but very easy to adjust.

7. Likes Qwan liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rbpercussion View Post
    I'm happy to see my thread take off, but I'm unhappy to see it's been derailed into almost a bunch of nonsense.

The whole point of this thread was to talk about the current relevance of masterCAM. I'd like to know if it has a place in programming in the future or if there is something else out there that I'm unaware of that is displacing CAM packages.
    I hear you, man. I had to stop reading at your post because my head was about to explode.

You really need to look at your local job market, or where ever you plan to live, and decide. In the Twin Cities of Minnesota MC is very popular and I would have to say that's the best name to have on a resume around here. This thread became so busy I had to start skim reading and didn't see the area you are inquiring about. If you cannot find input on a specific area then I would start checking LinkedIn and Indeed. Craigs will give you some info too but locally I haven't seen many high end businesses post there, at least not in the Twin Cities. Look around and you'll see what's popular in your area.

I'll refrain from the "my two cents" input except...
    This thread is so full of egos and butt hurt, lol! A lot of it has come down to qualifying if opinions are informed or not. Realistically there are very few people who have been able to become proficient at multiple software (at the same time) but there ARE many people who work where multiple systems are in place and it's common to perform A-B comparisons, not to mention comparing notes with users at other companies who use different software. The key is surrounding yourselves with creative, experienced, like minded users who don't get defensive when talking about shortcomings. A lot of it comes down to either making the best use of what you have or personal preference. IMO the former should always take precedence over the latter.

But, hey, that's just two cents.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I was learning a piece of software to put on my resume and go get a job?

MasterCAM.

Seriously, it is absurd how many shops are on MasterCAM. We're talking well over 50% market penetration easily. The only kicker to it is that most of the ones I know are 2+ releases behind whatever MC's latest and greatest is, so if you're going to be taking classes or something, do put some effort in going a few releases back and making sure you aren't relying on any of the very latest tools or interface trickery. Yea, if you learn on 2019, you can probably recalibrate to an earlier version easy enough, but you might look like a deer lost in the headlights if they sit you down for an interview in front of an older seat, and that never looks good, even if the explanation is valid.

10. Likes Mtndew, [email protected], Qwan liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gkoenig View Post
    Seriously, it is absurd how many shops are on MasterCAM. We're talking well over 50% market penetration easily.
    Imagine the #s once you factor in the number of pirated copies being used.

12. Likes Mtndew, gkoenig liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post

That's funny stuff.
    I feel the same way using NX. In Mastercam it was stupid easy to pick a tool and holder. I'm sure there are ways to make tool assemblies easier in NX, but out of the box Mastercam just has common toolholders available. Period. No farting around, just select your library (cat40, hsk, etc), select the style (collet, solid, etc) select the length and you are done. Sometimes the lengths are slightly off I have found, but very easy to adjust.
    The key any software, and God knows especially NX, is customizing it so it automates as much of your workflow as possible. My pain is during version transitioning and I have to spend a day creating new prt templates but once I'm done NX rewards a very slick workflow with zero nc file editing and associative modeling. I have a lot of graphically produced vb journals, some macros and cutter/holder libraries 100% populated with all my current tooling. With the exception of my prt templates, the rest of my customized environment transfers from version to version. I recommend that all users should customize their cad-cam environments to extract every possible ounce of productivity they can.

At my site NX is used exclusively for edm electrode modeling and programming with MC used for overflow when needed because time studies have shown MC to be inferior for this. NX is much better suited for 3D work than MC but...

That being said, MC is still the best software to have on a resume in the Twin Cities; without a doubt. It is the most common job shop software here but shops doing mold, die, aero and military use other software.

14. Likes Mtndew liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Qwan View Post
    The key any software, and God knows especially NX, is customizing it so it automates as much of your workflow as possible.

I recommend that all users should customize their cad-cam environments to extract every possible ounce of productivity they can.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Most people that say a certain software is crap, or bad is because they haven't taken the time to set it up properly.
    I'm sure there are crap softwares out there,but the good outweigh the bad.