What's new
What's new

differences between NX and cam express?

I think:

Solid Edge Cam Pro is Solid Edge with NX CAM

NX CAM Express is NX CAM without all the CAD functions.

NX CAM plus NX CAD would be a normal NX CAD/CAM seat.

In any case, the common denominator is NX CAM, so workflow is mostly identical.

I think:

Solid Edge Cam Pro is Solid Edge with NX CAM

NX CAM Express is NX CAM without all the CAD functions.

NX CAM plus NX CAD would be a normal NX CAD/CAM seat.

In any case, the common denominator is NX CAM, so workflow is mostly identical.

That's what I was told by the relevant sales 'peeps".

BUT couldn't swear to the same workflow - hence @empwoer's question. "Workflow" "differences" ?

I have always liked Solid Edge - seems quicker than Solidworks and the sales "peeps" kept insisting that the NX CAM express ~ the CAM part ~ is identical to NX CAM 100%

clear as mud.

Unless you have both of these running side by side not sure one would be able to tease out the subtle workflow differences.

Possibilities of asynchronous licensing + subscriptions seemed interesting. I.e. you can upgrade or downgrade the CAD end of things + the FEA. (not sure how well that works in practice.).

Previously this had been a problem for me with Solidworks + ALL the FEA bells and whistles + embedded CAM from SolidCAM.

for a small outfit FEA vs CAM is, or can be phased very differently and you can end up spending a lot of $ for basically unused aspects of the software for months , if not years at a time depending on project arcs and phases. Logically and ultimately one has to "cave" and have things have be broken down into multiple seats of the software with different capabilities to manage cost and overall reliability. [Not very efficient nor very "smaller outfit" - friendly .]. ~ Seems NXCAM Express + license structure may have addressed some of those issues.

thanks fellas. i found out you can get a student edition for free (dont actually need to be a student) with all the options enabled. cant post and any files you make in this version cannot be opened in a commercial version. but will give me the ability to learn it. so far i'm liking it a lot!

Back