Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by goooose View Post
    Smartcam folded? This must be recent news as last I heard they just switched to the subscription model this year.
    Anyways, no. Their interfaces are coompletly different, both old and new. I think the only similarity between the two is the use of 'KBM', even though both utilize it differently

No No that was back in 2002 I believe,, they started back up since then.
    but that few years during point control org makers(forget the actual name of company) there was some crap going on between them an another company about then interface, if I recall point control got bought out that was shit canned by the company who bought them out. Smartcam restarted a few years after that and been going ever since.

smartcam cnc is in oregon now own and operated by the org guys.. I started using it in 1994 still have the org 13-15 3.5" floppie disks for it somewhere and the dongle

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1974 View Post
    Are you talking about something like NX being able to use expressions such as dimensioning for parts/models? Like P3=P1 /2? Just curious... I found that was really cool, but never got to experiment with it too much in my short time with NX.
    Yes, as in bi-directionality, and I have seen some cases where a site makes various size iterations of parts. The model can be tweaked via a spreadsheet then have it all controlled with a C program or old school UG style grip. The model updates, operations update, post processes, create shop docs and files put in their proper locations in the network. Can be boring for the programmer but oh well; he's probably programming for many machines though and being super productive. I program for a variety of parts and cannot have that level of automation but we link spreadsheets for stock sizes component items all the time.

These are some general things that are good to investigate when looking at new software. I find it valuable to listen to conversations from everyone so I can be prepared when speaking with application engineers and development people. We haven't had a big eval for quite some time but I've met with some friends before they've done theirs so they can ask a lot questions pertaining exactly to their type of work.