What's new
What's new

Esprit user Thoughts

allloutmx

Titanium
Im running the tutorial videos now. Just wondering how many people use it, how many people like it/don't like it(compared to other CAM systems) and are there avenues at my disposal for technical support(like emastercam).

Ive been on mastercam for 8 years, and I need to learn esprit if I want to get onto a better machine here. Im eager to learn, but so far...well lets just say, its not mastercam...I wont say for a fact it is better or worse until I have just as much time vested into esprit as I do into Mcam, but would like to hear what some of you think. Any tips for the newb?
Thank you in advance.

It sounds like you are learning Esprit without having to deal with developing a good post-processor, correct? Esprit is already being used in your workplace? If that's the case, then you should be okay. Esprit's GUI is circa WinNT and could use a serious overhaul, but if you can look past the icons created by an 8 year old, then it works pretty well. Make sure you learn how to get the most out of it by re-using your processes. That's where it's real strength lies. I don't recall the Esprit terminology for that (as we have it, but it's been a long time since I was involved with it) but it will make programming a lot quicker when you can just drag and drop your parameters instead of entering them every time. I know for programming our Integrex, there are a lot of fields that require data entry, and it becomes cumbersome to do this every time.

Good luck!!

Dude, get HSMworks for Solidworks or Inventor. It totally dominates for most everyday shit.

You'll be about nine million times faster in HSMworks than in Masterscam.

I taught myself how to use Esprit at my last job. Previous to that I was using ONECNC and still do in my own shop.

I have been educated in Gibbs but never actually ran anything I programmed..I got the thumbs up for not killing the machine though.

Mastercam I own a seat and know it, and still don't use it very much. Thanks Drey for the knowledge and software.

I went to work back out here in Cali and they used Esprit. Two guys knew the software, one was the quality manager, Josh I know your on here somewhere. The other was FBK, (fuckin bosses kid). Good guy but he had his hands tied around a MAM72 so programs came out slower than I needed to kick my Toyodas in the ass.

Esprit is some good stuff and I liked the interface, If I had that kind of cash i'd go that direction.

The point is, that if you know how to make a part it don't matter what software you use.

HSM works does look interesting. Ill have to try it out.

I think HSM works represents a real shift in CAM systems. It works, it's easy to learn, and the price is right. For 90% of basic 2.5D tasks, it's all you will ever need.

I have not used the 3D or 4 axis modules. Nor have I used the turning.

It's about time these old dinosaur companies like Esprit, Gibbs, SurfCAM, MasterCAM, and a pile of others take a step back and look at how terrible the user experience is with their product. For fuck's sake, MasterCAM is STILL running on wireframe geometry.

These old companies are stuck in the same way Fanuc and some other builders are stuck. Their interface is terrible, but the shit works and makes good parts. They can't change things because the old timers will completely bug out when one icon is missing or button gets moved, yet they look increasingly irrelevant compared to newer products.

I was talking to one of the applications engineers from a local machine tool distributor and his comments were that Esprit is geared toward mill/turn machining centers. I've wondered since if that is true, or if he just knew Esprit better than any other software so that was his opinion.

It is. I demoed Espirt for 60 days.

I wasn't happy with the basic lathe and 2.5D package. I looked else where but for Mill Turn such as a Integrex or an NT(X). The software is great.

I found NX is pretty good but the lack of B axis turning in NX8.5.

I don't know about NX9 they could have added B axis turning but I had posting problems to my Mazaks with NX9 so I had to roll back to NX8.5

Have used MasterCam from V9 to the current X7...used Esprit for 3 years now. With out even hesitation I can tell you Esprit is better in all aspects of programming...lathe/wire/2D mill/3D mill/mill-turn/automation/etc etc. A program that would take you 2hrs in MasterCam would be 15 min in Esprit. The use of VBA to complete machining parameters for you and to auto recognize features is a massive time saver.
The only edge I would give to MasterCam is it is a little easier to draw (but thats what SW is for anyways) and MasterCam is still a little ahead with their options for highspeed machining (although I suspect that wont be the case anymore once Esprit 2014 is released). Oh 1 more notch for MasterCam, currently Esprit is a 32 bit program while MasterCam is 64. Again this is supposed to be addressed in the 2014 release.
So my advice to you...give Esprit 1 year of your time.

...Esprit has their own message board you can access through their website. Its just like emastercam.

...What is the 'better' machine you are trying to get on?

Do you already have Esprit, if so it dosnt hurt to learn another cam package

What type of mill turn are you going to be driving?

I just found out at the end of this month I will be learning to use Esprit...Don't ask me why but one of my costomers just bought it to program a Tormach...Little over kill given the fact the software cost almost as much as the machine...
So time tostart watching some videos

I was talking to one of the applications engineers from a local machine tool distributor and his comments were that Esprit is geared toward mill/turn machining centers. I've wondered since if that is true, or if he just knew Esprit better than any other software so that was his opinion.

That's all we use it for. For programming our 5-axis Hermles we continue to use WorkNC and that's not going to change under my watch. Now with Vero in charge of WorkNC, I expect it will get even better. If WorkNC had mill/turn functionality I would kick Esprit to the curb in a heartbeat. But it doesn't, and never will, so we continue with Esprit.

Dan

Mori NVX/NH/NHX, and the Hermles
No mill turn...yet.

Yeah we have mastercam (2seats) and esprit (7seats). They dont mind me doing prototype and tooling work on mastercam, but Im trying to get onto a better machine, which means I will probably end up programming for production, and since most of the programmers only know esprit, I would have to learn it as well if i want to start making moves.

Im running the tutorial videos now. Just wondering how many people use it, how many people like it/don't like it(compared to other CAM systems) and are there avenues at my disposal for technical support(like emastercam).

Ive been on mastercam for 8 years, and I need to learn esprit if I want to get onto a better machine here. Im eager to learn, but so far...well lets just say, its not mastercam...I wont say for a fact it is better or worse until I have just as much time vested into esprit as I do into Mcam, but would like to hear what some of you think. Any tips for the newb?
Thank you in advance.
My names Rick. If you need help with Esprit I've been programming with it since 2003. I've used Mastercam, Edgecam and Gibbs. And although they all have their strengths and weaknesses I can do anything in Esprit. I program Mazak Intergrex 650's all 5 axis. I'm talking about some really crazy stuff that nobody else in town wants to touch. And with Esprit you have total control of the post processor. In Gibbs you don't. Edgcam is ok and has some cool model recognition features but it aint no Esprit. Feature cam/Dellcam are Esprits competition. The full blown version of 2013 Esprit is awesome. Just let me know.:D

Esprit User

Thank you in advance.

I am currently using Esprit at my shop for 5 axis milling operations on a DMG Mori DMU 95 MonoBLOCK. I was given a month when I first started, programming and running parts for a 3 axis Mazak VCN-530C. The learning curve was relatively steep and the support base online (eg. Youtube etc.) seemed a little lacking in my opinion. I had previous experience with ADSK Fusion 360 as well as Cimatron.

Backstory aside, Esprit is pretty deep. It has a lot of powerful functions and is quite capable but from what I can tell is not the most intuitive software to learn from scratch. The help directory within the software has a lot of decent explanation of different parameters, and the support system through ESPRITWeb is frequently helpful once you've gotten used to the programming.

Esprit is a feature based application, and thus allows for a high degree of modularity on how you want to go about achieving a desired result, but it also has a lot of space for error if you don't have a good grasp of how it all behaves.

side note: there is a third party collection of training software available online through CAMWizard or something to that effect, though if I recall it's rather expensive. Hope this offers some light insight, best of luck!

-Clawdaddy

Have used MasterCam from V9 to the current X7...used Esprit for 3 years now. With out even hesitation I can tell you Esprit is better in all aspects of programming...lathe/wire/2D mill/3D mill/mill-turn/automation/etc etc. A program that would take you 2hrs in MasterCam would be 15 min in Esprit. The use of VBA to complete machining parameters for you and to auto recognize features is a massive time saver.
The only edge I would give to MasterCam is it is a little easier to draw (but thats what SW is for anyways) and MasterCam is still a little ahead with their options for highspeed machining (although I suspect that wont be the case anymore once Esprit 2014 is released). Oh 1 more notch for MasterCam, currently Esprit is a 32 bit program while MasterCam is 64. Again this is supposed to be addressed in the 2014 release.
So my advice to you...give Esprit 1 year of your time.

...Esprit has their own message board you can access through their website. Its just like emastercam.

...What is the 'better' machine you are trying to get on?

I realize this is an old post, but if you google search for esprit this comes up.

Esprit is leagues behind Mastercam in a lot of ways. Even from X7.

Esprit cannot do HEM (profitmilling in esprit vs dynamic milling in mastercam) for anything other than a pocketing operation. Fusion 360 does this for a tiny, tiny fraction of the cost. It wont even remotely touch it for rotary axis interpolation while doing HEM.

Esprit requires really finicky custom tools. And will not support anything fancy like Sandvik's prime turning. Nothing for 3D tools at all.

Esprit requires everything to be STL files, which are horrific to work with and really slow loading.

The simulation is horrible to set up if you have a B-axis. It is so finicky and not very accurate and supports solution to tools not ending up where they should be is just to fudge the numbers to get it "close".

Esprit v2021 still works like the original version from 1997ish. It is still 32 bit, it still lacks any kind of hardware acceleration. Simulating is very slow even with an extremely good computer.

Esprit TNG still does not support multi-channel machines as of April 2021. Some of the above may be fixed but I cannot touch it because I have a multi-channel machine.

I will say that the feature system is pretty handy, but it definitely seems to lack the control the wireframe gives. It is very finicky to get right until you're extremely comfortable with what it wants.

I have around 30 more days before I can ask for a refund and I'm learning towards it.

Esprit requires everything to be STL files, which are horrific to work with and really slow loading.

That isn't correct. It supports other file formats. STL is probably the worst format to use for machining precise shapes, as it is all a pile of triangles. I wonder how many of your problems are stemming from using that format.

I realize this is an old post, but if you google search for esprit this comes up.

Esprit is leagues behind Mastercam in a lot of ways. Even from X7.

Esprit cannot do HEM (profitmilling in esprit vs dynamic milling in mastercam) for anything other than a pocketing operation. Fusion 360 does this for a tiny, tiny fraction of the cost. It wont even remotely touch it for rotary axis interpolation while doing HEM.

Esprit requires really finicky custom tools. And will not support anything fancy like Sandvik's prime turning. Nothing for 3D tools at all.

The simulation is horrible to set up if you have a B-axis. It is so finicky and not very accurate and supports solution to tools not ending up where they should be is just to fudge the numbers to get it "close".

Esprit v2021 still works like the original version from 1997ish. It is still 32 bit, it still lacks any kind of hardware acceleration. Simulating is very slow even with an extremely good computer.

Esprit TNG still does not support multi-channel machines as of April 2021. Some of the above may be fixed but I cannot touch it because I have a multi-channel machine.

I will say that the feature system is pretty handy, but it definitely seems to lack the control the wireframe gives. It is very finicky to get right until you're extremely comfortable with what it wants.

I have around 30 more days before I can ask for a refund and I'm learning towards it.

Fairly typical "wah my new cam system doesn't work the same way as my old one and I can't be bothered to learn it wah" post.

I am not an esprit user but your entire post is OBVIOUS bullshit. Why come here and post that nonsense?

Back