What's new
What's new

Exporting data (mostly BOM fields) out of a CAD system into Excel or database

The Dude

Hot Rolled
I'm currently using Microsoft Visio 2007 to do simple 2D DXF prints for which it's about as easy as you can have. But I'm moving towards needing to create templates that essentially behave like a separate app to create custom versions of products and, at the end (after the product is configured in a 2D layout) you export data. So far this version of Visio has worked pretty well but there are other issues why I'm hoping to upgrade it (mostly it's old). Here's the basic process and I'm hoping to find a more upgraded software that will work for this:

1. You create a template that has master shapes that you drag and drop and position into a layout. Some are "locked" into fixed size and other can be only shortened/lengthen.
2. Once your layout is complete, you create a PDF of the layout that you can send to the customer for approval. The BOM data (all the pieces in the layout) are exported with various fields (master # which is basically part #, lengths if they are custom, total qty of each master #, etc.).
3. Save the file with a customer/order # name in case you need to modify it.
4. Pull the data up to perform a price quote, use the data to create a quote, attach the drawing PDF and email to customer.

It's only step 1, 2 & 3 that are done in the CAD system, 3 & 4 are either done kind of "manually" (Excel, Outlook, etc.) but hopefully will get integrated into a CRM or ERP system down the road.

If you have a CAD software you can recommend that can easily do this kind of stuff, let me know. Again, 2007 can do all this pretty easy but there are some other upgrade issues that are pushing the need for something newer and, before I go to Visio 2019 I want to make sure there's not something better. As a side note, I did buy TurboCAD Deluxe 2019 and have been trying to find time to train myself (more for 3D CAD for which I used to use CATIA a long time ago). I will consider using TurboCAD if someone can verify it has these capabilities.

Thanks,
The Dude

I asked this question last night and was told that it has been done with Mechanical Desktop. She expects that other programs should also have this capability as it's a good idea but not a new one.

Back